Thursday, August 4, 2011

Potty Training Success! He's a big boy now!

Since becoming a mom, I've had numerous times where I was elated and terrified all at once.  I'm there again now that we've officially and successfully conquered potty training.  For over a month now Cooper has been accident-free at home and preschool!  


I'm elated because I can't believe how easy it was and because we don't have to buy diapers anymore!  Please forgive this little bit of bragging because I know it's not easy for all kids/parents, but given the major challenges we've had with so many of the typical transitions with Cooper I'm relieved that we finally got one of them accomplished without any major hurdles or set-backs. Yay!!! 


I'm so proud of Cooper. He was truly excited and thrilled by going to the bathroom on the toilet from the day we started.  Frankly, it shocked me. I was sure we'd be in for a painful summer of messes and power struggles. I even asked his teacher at school "how could this be possible that it's this easy!?" and bless her heart her response was music to my ears: "you were patient and waited for him to show you he was ready and once he did you acted on it - way to go, mom!" :)  


Being a mom is the most important job I've ever had or ever will have and it's been the hardest job (but most rewarding) of all, too.  I have second-guessed myself time and time again, beaten myself up emotionally for not doing things the "right" way or at the "right" time (according to "experts" and experienced moms) and then finally I have forgiven myself for doing what was the best we could, given our extraordinary circumstances.  Now that we have had this potty training victory, I just want to celebrate it a little and praise God for guiding me to be patient and trusting that this would happen when the time was right.  


Why terrified? Because Cooper will always be my one and only Baby Olsen but he's clearly not a baby anymore. For many reasons, we know Cooper will be an only child and it saddens me that we really won't have any need for diapers or other baby items and now it's time to let go of many related items (i.e., changing table) and it just makes it more and more real that Cooper is growing so quickly.  But, as  terrifying as that is, I am mostly swept with gratitude for the blessing that he is in our lives and for God's mercy and grace that I'm here to see him grow up because for a bit there I wasn't so sure I would be. Thank you, Lord!


Our Cooper is a big boy now! We can confidently continue our adventures without diapers in tow, while building in more time for potty breaks, of course. ;)  


Here he is the day he first donned big boy underpants. 

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Congrats Cooper! I like the new blog look!

JEN said...

Yay Cooper!

I totally understand about the only child and the loss of babyhood. It's all so bittersweet when you know you aren't going to be doing it again.

Gina Brownstein said...

Big Boy! Yay! Yay for Mommy too!

Alisha said...

Way to go, Cooper! That picture is so darn cute! I can't believe how time is flying.

Joanna said...

That is wonderful news Julie! Is he trained for night time also? We haven't attempted that yet with Sabrina (she's been day-time potty trained for about 6 months now but she still wakes up with a wet pull-up). Any tips to offer? :)