Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Finally feeling better

Cooper is finally over the strep throat - yay!!! He has no more symptoms, not even the antibiotic side effects which made for an interesting morning on Monday at bathtime. Yup - probably just what you're imagining. I spent over about 90 minutes scrubbing and sanitizing the bathtub, the safety seat, and all of Cooper's bath toys. On the one hand I guess we can say we got that "first" over with. On the other hand, I'd have liked to have skipped that one or at least have it happen when he wasn't still experiencing antibiotic side effects. ;/

Once he was all cleaned up we took him downtown L.A. to meet an old friend (as in last time we saw her was about 12 years ago) for lunch - someone both my mom and I worked with in the early 90's back in CT but she lives out here now. Before meeting her we decided to stop in my office for a quick visit with work friends, many of whom had never met Cooper before. Thankfully, Cooper had a great nap on the way there so he was smiley and happy during the office visit and also during lunch. It was great to have a chance to see several people after being out since early June. I really miss all of my work friends and am looking forward to going back as soon as the time is right.

Now that Cooper is feeling better we need to resume some sleep training. While he was sick he was up every 1-3 hours all night long and would refuse to go back to bed in his crib so out of desperation for some much needed sleep (which is no longer optional due to my health situation), we decided to let him sleep in our bed until he was better. I knew there would be consequences to deal with and I was right - he didn't want to go back to sleeping in the crib. But I'm the mommy and I get to decide so he went back in the crib Monday night for half the night, then last night for most of the night, and tonight it'll be all night and we'll resume the Ferberization approach as needed if he gets up and doesn't need intervention (diaper, etc). Ah fun stuff. Thankfully, Bob will be home tonight to assist with this process. I don't think it'll be too bad though since he wasn't that bad last night - just up 2-3 times and one of the times I didn't even have to go in.

My folks returned to CT today after spending the summer here with us to help me out with Cooper while I began my treatments. It was so hard to see them go and I know Cooper will miss them a lot too. I posted more about this on my other blog and since I want to go take a nap while the sitter is still here I won't repeat it here. We're going to miss them a lot but we know we'll see them again soon and that will get us through til the next visit. Cooper loves his grandma and papa so much, and so do I. :)

3 comments:

Lissa said...

So glad to hear Cooper is feeling better. Good luck with the sleep training!

Colton did the same to our tub for the first time about a month ago. The worst part was the bath mat because it is kind of "waffle-y" and has lots of little holes. Luckily, he only has a couple bath toys. But at least you have that experience over with! And look at it this way, it was due to the antibiotics so the chances of it happening again are probably pretty rare. Plus now you have a sparkling clean bathtub!

Happy Family said...

Love all the photos! It is great seeing your son!
Kat
Kathy Hayes

Steve and Amy Beth said...

Cooper,
I'm so glad you're feeling better! You were pretty sick, my Momma told me. I thought what you did in the tub was pretty funny. It is a good thing you have a such a great Mommy to clean it all up, too! Take care!
Your buddy,
Jonathan