Thursday, August 27, 2009

14 months old last week

Oops, I forgot to announce Cooper's 14 month old mark last Friday here on the blog. I can hardly believe he's that old already, which might explain a subconscious desire not to acknowledge it. LOL

He's doing great these days. He is into EVERYTHING which is cute and oh so annoying at times. He's not walking on his own but for a few steps (up to 3-4) at a time but he's perfectly capable of doing it because we've watched him walk across the kiddy pool unassisted and when he plays in his walker and approaches the carpet threshold from the hard floor he lifts the walker and walks across the carpeting (not just the threshold, all the carpeted area)! I'm not sure if he's lazy or afraid. We weren't encouraging the walking for quite some time - not discouraging either - just letting him do what comes naturally. Now we're encouraging it a bit by ensuring he uses the push toys each day so he can see for himself that he can actually walk. He has several of those toys and has a blast pushing them throughout the house. He also cruises the walls and furniture all of the time so I'm sure it's just a matter of days before he finally lets go and walks unassisted. It'll be fun when he does, but scary too because it will mean more falls, bumps, bruises, etc. and we have so much to deal with already here and I'm supposed to try to stay away from doctors offices and hospitals when it's not specifically for me to get some type of treatment.

Cooper is finally getting more hair too which is fun to see since he had so little of it the entire first year. It's the same color as mine (or as mine was before I lost it haha). So far, only one or two freckles on him. It will be interesting to see if he gets more or if he ends up with his dad's complexion instead.

On the sleeping front we're back to sleep training again. This time we're using a modified Ferber method and letting him cry longer because he was catching on to the time intervals we were using and crying right up to the point he knew we'd walk in the room. We've had 2 great nights out of 3 with him, last night being not so great because he went down earlier than usual and was super hungry starting at 2am. We didn't give in til at least 4am though when he got a diaper change and a bottle and then back to bed. Hopefully within a week he'll have figured out that he's capable of sleeping through without eating or getting changed but it's not easy since I need my sleep and I wake up every time he cries and then it's hard for me to get back to sleep.

Well, I have a lot on my plate today so that's it for now. Happy belated 14 months, Cooper dooper!

2 comments:

Lissa said...

My advice is to not let him go down early. I have some LONG evenings with a tired cranky boy because he didn't nap. But if Colton goes to bed more than 15 mins earlier than usual, he is up within 2 hours and several other times after that. I learned that the hard way. So now I just deal with the super cranky baby. Personally I would rather deal with the crying/fussing when I choose to be awake rather than during the night when I would like to be sleeping.

Glad to hear he is doing a little better. Good luck to all of you!

Happy Family said...

He is just not in the mood to walk yet!!!! Those cute little boys have better things to do (get into everything they can right?). I think preemie boys like to take their time and enjoy being able to get into everything at the floor level!

Great to hear the update! now on to your blog Julie-we just got home from our trip and i need to catch up!
Kat and family