Saturday, February 16, 2008

Amen for the internet!

Yesterday I spent a great deal of time surfing the internet (what's new, right?), searching for tips for surviving long-term bedrest so that I could really be sure I was planning ahead and giving myself the best start at this. It's amazing how much information I managed to find - in fact, that's what prompted me to buy that refrigerator because so many women who'd been through this said they had coolers by their bed that their husbands would stock for them each morning -- well of course that wouldn't be possible for me since Bob is away so often for several days at a time so that's when we decided to create a food stock upstairs instead.

Among the best online finds was an organization called Sidelines. www.sidelines.org. This amazing organization offers free online and phone support through a network of volunteers who have themselves been through high-risk/complicated pregnancies with bedrest. Their site has articles, message boards, scheduled chats, and a process for submitting a request to be matched with a "buddy" who has experienced similar diagnosis/treatment and this buddy would phone and/or email you to offer support and suggestions for getting through it. I filled out a buddy request form yesterday and today I've already received an email acknowledgement of the request, indicating I'd be hearing from someone soon. I'm really excited about the chance to talk to someone that's been through this.

I also found other message boards online for high-risk/complicated pregnancies, some even dedicated to women with incompetent cervix like me (isn't that term just awful!) and bookmarked many of them so I can find them again later on when I'm ready to participate. After all, I'll have plenty of "down" time haha!

I'm excited that Bob is coming home tomorrow - I really miss him. I feel bad for him though because I have a laundry list of tasks for him to do to help get me situated before he heads back out on Tuesday.

Mom leaves tomorrow which is a bummer - it's been really great to have her here to support me - I'm so lucky to have such a wonderful and caring mom who left her vacation in Florida to fly cross country to come be with me at my time of need. Thank you mom!!!! I love you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad you found sidelines.org! Aren't/weren't they awesome! and you do have such a loving and caring mom!!!:)