Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Doc's orders

Today was my first post-op doctor's appointment - my first outing outside of the house since the day before surgery. Bob brought me to my OB doc's office and got to meet him for the first time. The perinatologist (who I refer to as the peri) that performed the surgery is in a different office but he and my OB doc partner on lots of patients with the OB providing standard OB care and the peri focuses on the high risk/complicated aspect which in my case is my "incompetent cervix" - there's that lovely term again. ;0

The peri wanted the OB to "take a look" at the surgical site to make sure it was healing well and not showing any signs of infection or other issues at this 1-week post-op stage. Doc looked and said it looked good (phew!). I had a notebook with my questions and doc was patient and kind and answered all of them. He's a great doctor - very thorough and never rushes.

The doc noticed on my chart that I had lost some weight since my last appointment which apparently is common/expected when someone is put on bedrest. I had thought it was a good thing because I gained too much weight in the first trimester (12 lbs - compared to the recommended 2-5 lbs) and they agreed back then to let me go on the diet used by women with gestational diabetes to try to slow the gain down a bit. WELL....doc looked at me in all seriousness and proceed to tell me that it's critical that I "focus" on gaining weight now - at least 1.5 lb/week. Bob looked at him funny (which made me laugh) and I asked why. Apparently, due to my condition I'm at high risk for preterm labor/delivery and therefore they want me to help the baby gain weight just in case he arrives earlier than he should - by putting weight on him apparently that would help his chances of survival if he were to be a micropreemie/preemie. I giggled with excitement and looked at Bob who laughed and rolled his eyes and then he quickly assured the doctor that he has no doubt I'll get right on that! Doc laughed and then had the best comeback for Bob, looking to him and saying "and NO hanky panky until further notice". Doc detailed out those ground rules which basically mean - absolutely NO nothing. Poor Bob! Most docs refer to that as "pelvic rest" - my doctor is much cooler than most docs.

On a more serious note, back to the possibility of preterm labor/delivery, doc said that if I do go into labor early (before 35 weeks), I will need to go to a different hospital than we were planning to use because our local hospital does not have a NICU. He told us which hospital to head for if that happens. Pretty scary because the other one is 23 miles away - which could take 40 minutes if there's heavy traffic (25 min if no traffic). All the more reason to hope/pray little baby Olsen stays put until it's the RIGHT time to come out.

Doc told me what warning signs to watch for (excessive contractions, spotting/bleeding, fluids, etc.) and told me to make sure I'm limiting the amount of time spent sitting up which is as bad as standing up due to the vertical position and pressure it puts on my cervix. He also said no more laying flat on my back b/c the baby is big enough now to put too much pressure on an artery in that position and could cause an interruption of the flow of oxygen to both me and the baby. Going to have to get creative with pillows so I can be reclined facing forward but not be on my back either...ok there's a challenge to focus on - that and eating more =).

It was so wonderful having Bob with me at the appointment. Since I'm not comfortable driving and am not supposed to be upright for that long anyway we agreed that my appointments would have to be scheduled for days Bob is home and can drive me - otherwise I'll have to be driven by a neighbor or take a cab.

No comments: