Today I went in to the perinatologist's office for my level 2 ultrasound. This examination involves a high resolution ultrasound where extensive measurements are taken of the baby to evaluate growth and possible "markers" for abnormalities. Usually this occurs between 18-20 weeks but mine was scheduled for the day I was approximately 17 weeks along, simply because it was time to check my cervix as well (standard protocol for someone with a history of cervical surgeries). They said that if baby wasn't as developed as needed for the measurements usually taken at this "big ultrasound" then they'd simply bring me back in a couple weeks later for another look. This was all fine by me as I knew that I was far enough along for them to be able to tell me the gender of the baby. For that reason alone I'd been looking forward to this visit. The suspense was killing me and I just couldn't begin to think about names or nursery themes without knowing. In fact, it amazes me when anyone wants to be surprised at the time of their baby's birth - I was busting to know from the very start.
The visit started with the sonographer taking lots of measurements as I watched the images of the baby on a flat screen monitor hanging on the wall. Sometimes I knew what we were looking at, other times I had no idea because she would magnify the image to a certain body part and she did it so fast at times I had no clue. She was kind enough to answer me when I asked what something was. I told her I would love to know the baby's gender so she said she'd try to get a good shot and let me know. Several minutes later she informed me that we're having a boy! I asked her if she was confident about that and her response was "very confident". OK!! Yeah for team blue! I was so excited by the news because everyone was convinced I was having a boy and Bob had indicated that was his preference (though he'd have been thrilled with a girl too) and it just filled me with such joy to know Bob was getting his wish. I had secretly been wanting a boy too so this was a real win-win! :)
The sonographer finished up and asked me to stay where I was while she brought the measurements to the perinatologist who would be in to speak with me next. I laid on the table for a good ten minutes, day dreaming about our little baby boy and how I would break the news to Bob because he was waiting for me to tell him. He was off on a trip and couldn't be present for this visit which was a bummer but he didn't want me to postpone the visit so he was waiting for me to call him.
The doctor came in and said that the measurements appeared "excellent". However, he wanted to double-check my cervix because of my history to be sure all was ok. He proceeded to take a look and a concerned look came over his face. He mumbled a bit and I asked him what he said. He told me that my cervix had shortened from 3.5 to 2.5 in less than a month. He said that wasn't terrible but decided to keep looking. As he continued with the ultrasound I watched the screen and I saw this black mark in the shape of a tornado and I started to think 'what the heck is that?', and just as I finished that thought the doctor said "hmmmm, we have a funnel". I asked him what that meant he didn't answer at first and kept reviewing it and took measurements. He called an assistant in and instructed her to press on my belly as he scanned to see if the movement affected the funnel. It did. So he stopped the ultrasound, looked me in the eye and said "You're very lucky you are here today. We have a serious situation here and you need to have surgery." I was in shock. I started to cry. I was so scared and wishing Bob was there with me. I took a deep breath and the doctor said I needed a cerclage (stitching) and that he was going to go call my OB right then to confer with him and that I should wait there and he'd come talk to me once he spoke with my OB. Before he left the room he told me it was going to be ok but that we needed to take care of this asap. He left and came back within a few minutes and informed me that my OB agreed that the cerclage was the right course of action and I was taken into the perinatologist's office while he called the hospital to schedule the surgery which will be performed on Thursday, 2/14 - some Valentine's day! Before sending me on my way, he asked me to sit down with the genetic counselor who he said needed to talk with me about one other thing. My heart sank - how much more bad news could I take? OMG. The counselor wasn't immediately available so I was sent to the waiting room. I sat there and cried. A little girl (probably about 5 years old) who was with her mom saw me crying and she got up and walked to the front desk and asked for tissues and walked over to me and handed them to me. I was so touched by this that I cried even more. What a sweet little girl.
A few moments later I was called back in and the genetic counselor informed me that the ultrasound showed a cyst on the baby's brain. She told me the name of it and I can't remember it as I was in shock already from the news about my cervix. I do remember though that she said that they see this ALL the time and that it usually goes away before the baby is born but it can be an indication of an abnormality and that is why it was required I speak with her. She proceeded to say that the abnormality usually associated with this type of "marker" is T18 but that the doctor also saw that the baby's hand was seen in both the closed and open positions and that pretty much rules out T18 so she smiled and said it's nothing to be worried about but by law she is required to offer me the amnio (again). I declined it, signed paperwork and was brought back to the front desk to schedule my post-op visit before leaving the office.
I finally left the office and the moment I walked out I broke down. Immediately my phone rang and it was Bob, calling to find out if we were having a boy or a girl. I could barely talk I was so upset. Poor Bob didn't know what was going on so he helped calm me down enough so that I could explain what happened. He was so sweet and helped me stay positive - we're having a boy and he's going to be ok because the doctor caught this problem just in time to do something about it. He is so right. In fact, it was the shock and the thought that if I had not been to the doctor today (this particular doctor), we might have lost our precious baby.
Bob is not coming home until Sunday so I called my mom as soon as I got home and told her what was going on and she said she'd come out to CA to help me get to the surgery and be here for my recovery. I used frequent flier miles to book her a ticket on a flight tomorrow. Until the surgery I've been ordered to bed rest - to stay horizontal as much as possible. I'll have mom picked up at the airport by a car service. I can't wait for her to get here.
1 comment:
Julie,
I'm starting at the very first entry...I so wish I had been in touch w/ you through this. Since I've had difficult pregnancies, I totally get the way you were feeling and could've offered a cyber-shoulder. Thank God the doctors had you come in early due to your history! I just love proactive docs.
Post a Comment