I KNOW there are worst things that could happen but right now, at this moment, this is THE worst thing to ever happen to me thus far. Today I was informed that I have breast cancer.
Last week a friend of mine was diagnosed with breast cancer which reminded me to do a self exam during which I felt something small in my right breast. I called the doctor and he faxed an order for a diagnostic mammogram and a sonogram to the local breast imaging center. I went yesterday (Wednesday). They didn't find what I had felt - in fact the right breast appeared to have no abnormalities. HOWEVER, they found a small tumor in my left breast and biopsied it on the spot and told me results would be in Friday or Monday. Tonight (Thursday) I received a call from my gynecologist, Dr.N (who I adore), telling me he spoke with the pathologist but didn't have the full report yet. It is cancer. All he could tell me about the cancer is that is adenocarcinoma, the most common type of breast cancer, that it *appears* to be small (less than 2 cm) and caught early but that will need to be confirmed through additional tests such as a breast MRI and lymph node biopsy and whatever else they recommend (or I insist on).
I need to 1) discontinue taking birth control pills since it is likely to be a hormone receptive tumor, 2) contact a surgeon asap to get a consult, 3) get a breast MRI that is scheduled for Tuesday morning unless I can convince them to move it up (and I will try to do that), and 4) remind myself that it is a major blessing to have found this now versus later.
Dr.N said we'll know a bit more when the full report arrives (Friday or Monday) and the other tests are conducted. Meantime, I'm trying my best to be positive but I think there would be something seriously wrong with me if I wasn't upset by this and believe me I am upset. I alternate between fits of tears and fits of determination to kick cancer's ass.
A dear friend of mine that is no stranger to cancer emailed me tonight (last night) after hearing my news and she said: "Frankly, I don't think breast cancer knows what it got itself into, messing with you :-)".
People are asking me what I need right now and today here's my answer: I need to know who the best breast cancer treatment facilities and physicians are so I can get first and second opinions asap on the right course of treatment - so if you know please comment or email me asap. I need a cancer ass-kicking posse and I'm not quite sure who should be on that team and I need to figure it out really fast. That team needs to include a fantastic cosmetic surgeon because I intend to get myself a great set of perky tits out of this process. (OK, sorry for the adult content here but I think I'm entitled right now LOL).
I'll update when I have more info. Meantime, please pray and send positive thoughts my way. I appreciate it very much!
20 comments:
Step 1: Beat Cancer
Step 2: Perky Tits
Step 3: Pose for Playboy?!?!?!
Just thinking ahead for you....
Oh Honey!! I am so sorry! It sounds like you have a great attitude about this, which helps TONS!! I will keep you in my prayers! I had a cancer scare in December, and it is not fun! I am glad that they caught it early for you and I know you will be ok!
Sign me up for the posse!!!! Are you doing research for how big you are gonna go?
All kidding aside...we are hear for you - no matter what!
Julie, we don't know each other but I just wanted to say that my prayers are with you. I wish you a speedy recovery. Keep up the positive attitude. At this point, anything you do to stack the odds in your favor will get you a step closer to success and God-willing you shall be there soon. Fresh air, laughter, prayer, good fresh water, plenty of superfoods/superherbs, and sugar-free diet are somethings that come to mind to stack the odds in your favor. God bless and stay well. :)
Bera (Gabby's sig. other)
Wow, I'm so sorry to hear this news. I will keep you in my prayers. In the meantime, keep up that positive attitude of yours!
First, I like Amy's plan. Second, I love you to bits! Third, I am here if you need anything - you know from Ohio. Forth, I love you some more. Oh and fifth, sign me up for the Posse too! :)
Yes, you are enTITled to the adult commentary.
Yes, you will kick Cancer's Butt!
I'll join your posse!
You will continue to be in my prayers...I will add it to the list I have going for your family
Julie--Your friend you quoted in your post is absolutely right! Cancer will learn the hard way not to mess with you, girlfriend! One of my colleague's daughter has battled breast cancer twice while in her thirties. Her doctors are/were here on the East Coast, but if you'd like the info, I'll certainly get it for you. As I wrote on your FB page, I'm praying for you, Bob, and Cooper. The set of perky ones is such a "julie comment," making people giggle just a bit in the midst of everything! Stay strong, stay positive, and stay you! We know you will! :) Warmly, AB
Gosh Julie, I am so sorry! I've been dealing with a "mass" in my left breast since I was 4-5 months pregnant. Luckily, it doesn't seem to be malignant (did fine needle aspiration) but they want it out anyway once I'm done breastfeeding. I can't imagine getting the call that a mass was cancerous. Keep us updated, and I'm saying an extra special prayer for you and Cooper tonight. I know you can beat this--for you, for Cooper. Hugs:)
I woke up this morning with a vision of the old "Captain Planet" cartoon in my head and the headline "Cancer Ass-Kicking Posse - UNITE!" ringing in my ears. :) It made me giggle a little. I hope it makes you giggle a little too. *hugs*
All I gotta say is: ROFLOL @ Lizze & Amy. I agree with both of them. But then agian you knew that. What ever you need/want (or maybe don't want at some point ;) ) you got it from here!
Julie - you don't know me and I honestly couldn't even tell you where I came across your blog (maybe ivillage?) but your writing style has kept me reading. I have a 10 month old daughter (and almost 4 year old son)and my heart breaks for you as a mom. It sounds like you have the EXACT attitude that is needed to get over this hurdle...and you will...it will just be a not so fun journey. Attitude is everything and with your precious son you have all the incentive you need to fight hard.
Unfortunately, I am all too aware of the best doctors, treatments, hosptials, etc. My 35 year old sister was diagnosed with stage IV metastaic breast cancer on 2/3/05. My advice would be to GET YOURSELF TO MD ANDERSON IN HOUSTON, TX. If nothing else, poke around their website (http://www.mdanderson.org/).
I will most definitely be praying for you and your family.
And, thanks for sharing your "story" on this blog - you have a beautiful family and awesome writing style!
Sincerely,
Kelly
I just saw your friend over at Cheerio Confessions had posted about you and wanted to pop over and let you know that I am joining your team and will be praying for you.
It's awesome that you caught it so early and good that it appears to be the most common form.
You WILL beat it!
Dear Cancer,
Back the f*^%@ up off our Julie! Prepare to GO DOWN! This is seriously ridiculous. You have NO CHANCE in this battle so just give it up now!
There are HUNDREDS of prayers for her against you every single day. This chick has a HUGE support system, and a plane ticket to any awesome medical personnel in the world.
YOU DON'T STAND A CHANCE!!! We are TIRED of you threatening her and making her life HELL. We intend to ruin YOU, so buckle your seatbelt!!
Lovingly,
Nicole Larsen ;)
Oh Julie - I"m so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Why do crappy things have to happen to good people???
I work in cancer research. I know you are in southern cal, there are many good places. Of course the best cancer hospital is Seattle - Fred Hutchinson, MD Anderson Cancer Center - Houston, City of Hope in Duarte, USC, , Mayo Clinic, Johns Hopkins. Get a 2nd opinion always, especially at the big places, and then you can get your chemo close to home. Email if you need more info. Here is a helpful link from NIH - http://cancercenters.cancer.gov/cancer_centers/cancer-centers-list.html
Sometimes It is not good to puruse the internet UNTIL you've met with a consultant.
Thinking of you.... Give Cooper a hug and harness that love.
Jules,
Huge hugs from NY today and any day you need one. You will fight this and you will beat it...look at all the people pulling for you!
Whatever you need and whenever you need it, let me know!
Hugs to you, Bob, Cooper, Winnie and Hunter...and then an extra one for you! Love you girl!
Julie,
Definitely not the news I was expecting when I checked your blog tonight- so shi**y (understatement, I know). If the determination you had while on bed rest is any indication of what is to come, I have to agree with your friends: cancer has no chance with you. All my prayers for you and your family as you face this challenge.
Erin
Julie,
I know you will kick cancers Ass!! You have been through so much with Copper and are so amazing! I am here for you if you need me. Copper and Logan have been through a lot of the same stuff which makes me relate to you in the group. I know you will beat this.
Hi Julie. I am Amanda Robichaud's sister-in-law. She said I should leave a comment and that you know about my story as a mother of 2 little ones and a 28 year old with breast cancer. Just wanted to offer up any support, question answering or anything I can help you with from the east coast. ameis@verizon.net
I don't know of places out west but I could ask my docs here for their opinion if you wanted. I also have tons of resources (web based) and the like that I would be happy to share with you.
Anne Meisner
Julie, you don't know me (I'm a friend of V's and saw your blog through hers). My thoughts are with you. Not sure where you're located, but Oregon Health & Science University has a cancer center that is one of the best in the country. They receive HUGE funding and are on the cutting edge of many new treatments as well as clinical trials. Their website is http://www.ohsucancer.com/.
Post a Comment