On Thursday, we spent the first part of the day at the beach and Cooper seemed happy and well. I noticed he wasn't very hungry and was turning away his puff snacks and he was only sipping on his bottle here and there. Then in the late afternoon I noticed he was sleepy and wanted to nap a lot - much more so than normal. I mentioned it to Bob and we started comparing notes and we realized his cough from his minor cold the previous week seemed to be worse at night but more frequent than before. He felt warm to me so I took his temp and it was 100.4 so I gave him some Tylenol.
At dinner time he was smiley but it seemed he didn't feel well. I asked him "Cooper, do you feel ok?" (completely not expecting an answer from him) and he shook his head no and then leaned over my arm and started vomiting...profusely. There appeared to be mucus in it. We took his temperature and he was up to 101.3 in spite of having Tylenol just 3 hours earlier. We packed him up and headed to the ER. We spent 3 hours there. They ruled out RSV and the Flu. They listened to his chest and there was congestion so they took a chest x-ray which was inconclusive. The verdict: bronchitis/pre-pneumonia. They said the mucus in the vomit is likely from the cold when he had nasal drip that he was swallowing during his cold, and that the buildup of such mucus would lead to vomiting. He was prescribed amoxicillin and sent "home" at around 12:30am. That was a close call.
We felt really good about the treatment and care Cooper received at the Physician's Regional Medical Center in Naples. It's a new hospital with a beautiful and clean ER and treatment rooms. The staff were super nice and helpful too.
I had been feeling sick to my stomach since dinner but I was sure it was nerves because of Cooper not feeling well. Apparently, I had some stomach bug - or ate something bad, because at 4am I woke up and barfed. I felt much better after that!
Cooper may have had what I had, on top of his bronchitis, but maybe not. Thankfully I felt better after throwing up and once Cooper had a few doses of the antibiotics in his system he was like a new baby - back to his happy silly self thank goodness.
3 comments:
Being sick on vacation is worse than ever being sick at home. At least you had good experience with the ER There.
On our honeymoon we ended up with terrible food poisoning. After we wouldn't let our maid in to clean our room, she called the resorts on-call doctor to come to our room.
good lord, this is terrible!! hope you get to feeling better so you can enjoy the rest of your vacation!!
Oh no. Sending good health vibes your way.
Post a Comment