Sunday, April 5, 2009

The Naples Zoo & the pool

On Wednesday we headed out for fun at the local zoo - the Naples Zoo. It was a very hot and humid day. We lathered Cooper up in sun screen and strolled him around the zoo which did absolutely nothing for him. I didn't really expect him to care much for it but I have to say that even if he were older I think he would have been bored out of his mind. The zoo was probably the worst one I've been to - and I've been to MANY zoos - large and small. The exhibits were barely viewable for small children - only a few had plexiglass viewing sections for kids and the rest had solid, waist-high (for adults) fences . There were some interesting animals to see - tigers, panthers, lions, zebras, etc..but those animals were mostly tucked away napping in their shaded areas. The little monkey island was too far from land to enjoy watching those amazing creatures, and from what I could tell, the boat ride that gets you closer doesn't get you close enough or stay in one spot long enough to really enjoy watching them.

The facilities were not very nice - the bathroom was dirty and extremely outdated. No toilet seat covers, and no reasonable method for drying your hands (hand dryer didn't work and no paper towels).

After Cooper's mid-afternoon nap we headed to the pool for some fun splashing around. I think this was the best part of the day. Cooper's very first time in a pool. He LOVED it. I got him a cute float with a sun shade to protect his skin, and he had a blast in it. He splashed, kicked his feet in excitement, and giggled the whole time he was in the pool. Tip for other moms with infants: we used a Pampers swim diaper under his swimsuit and it worked really well.

I can't wait to start taking Cooper to our neighborhood pool at home now that I know he'll really enjoy it.

I'll post some pics when we get home.

1 comment:

Steve and Amy Beth said...

Steven and I went to the Naples Zoo while on our honeymoon to Sanibel for a change of pace and we wanted to drive a bit and check out the area. We weren't overly impressed either. The plant life was more impressive than the zoo itself. It was hotter than heck and no where to get in out of the sun--I was just three months preggo and this was not a good combination as you can imagine! We did take the monkey boat (re: shaded roof covering)and it actually was easily the best of the animal exhibits in terms of seeing the animals up close. Our local zoo here in Syracuse is more interesting we decided a few weekends ago when we took Jonathan to see the animals. Glad the pool time went so well! I can't wait to see what Jonathan does in the pool this summer! Enjoy! :)