Saturday, January 10, 2009

Cooper was good for mommy on her birthday

Last night was a battle - either more teeth are coming in or Cooper just did NOT want to go to bed. He screamed and screamed and nothing calmed him down until Bob called to check in on us and I put him on speaker phone. The sound of Bob's voice made Cooper stop crying and he stared at the phone and smiled as Bob proceeded to tell him it's important for him to be good for mommy tonight and tomorrow because tomorrow (meaning today) is her birthday. He coo'd and babbled with Bob for a bit and then after we hung up the crying resumed. UGH. I finally broke down and gave him some Tylenol since the teething tabs didn't seem to help and within 45 minutes he was finally asleep. I was thinking today might be more of the same.

When we got up this morning I decided to give Cooper baby applesauce and the rice cereal. He still hates the rice cereal but he actually ate the apple sauce without much fuss so that was nice. Then about an hour later he was ready for a nap already! Fine by me since I was exhausted. We went back upstairs and took a nice long nap together - 2 hours!! WOOHOO!!!! That was the best birthday present - thank you, Cooper!

Then it was time to get up, get dressed, and head out for a little fun. I was determined to try the petting zoo park again but AGAIN it was closed. I don't get it - no mention of why on the gate or on the website - this is the 4th time we've gone over there to find the animals are not out to play. I guess I should call to find out what's going before going back again - it's just so close by so I didn't bother calling ahead in the past. After that we went on to do the errands of the day which also were a bust. The store I get Cooper's formula from and had coupons for was all out of stock of the formula, the recycle center I needed to return 2 giant bags of cans/bottles to was "full" (that being the 2nd time in 2 weeks that has happened). I decided I'd had enough 'rejection' for my birthday and headed back home.

I joined Cooper for his 3pm nap and got another hour of sleep. Seriously, these two naps made my day haha. So sad, I know.

Then tonight Cooper ate more applesauce (didn't want to introduce a new veggie yet since the applesauce is new) and cereal and he took about 6 spoonfuls then started protesting wildly and it was time for a bath. I was not optimistic about the bath since Cooper isn't a fan of baths either. However, he surprised me and he actually enjoyed it tonight. I broke out some toys to occupy him while I washed him and he sat in his little bath seat without complaint for the first time. Until now he's pitched a fit when I put him in it and I've had to get into the tub with him and hold him and yet he still would whine. I'm glad he chose to enjoy it tonight and I hope that we've turned a corner there - I guess I'll finally start doing a daily bath for him instead of once every couple/three days like I have been doing (mainly b/c it has been such a battle and he really doesn't get very dirty).

After his bath I put him in some comfy PJs and gave him his nighttime dose of Prevacid and he fell asleep for an hour. He's awake now, laying on the couch next to me, starting to complain - probably hungry - so I have to get a bottle for him.

I'm not thrilled about being another year closer to 40 but I don't have a choice, do I? Darn! But I do appreciate the outpouring of birthday wishes from friends and family. The phone has been ringing all afternoon and I logged onto a long list of birthday wishes on iVillage and Facebook today and that was really cool - thank you!

To Mom and Dad - thank you so much for the beautiful card and gift :) - I promise it'll be put to good use. It's amazing how you always manage to get the card here on my actual birthday in spite of how far it needs to travel to get here. How do you do that!?

To Jason & Mary - thank you for the card and the Starbucks gift card! I plan to use it tomorrow morning - I didn't get my Starbucks fix today so it'll be extra appreciated when I go in there tomorrow. :)

To Diana - thanks so much for the note on iV and the calls today - and the very thoughtful gift too :) I can't wait to use it!

4 comments:

Nicole said...

Happy Birthday! :) Sorry I didn't get a chance to put something up earlier! I haven't been on ivillage in quite a while... no time. Glad Coop was good for you!!!

Lissa said...

Happy Birthday! Glad to hear Cooper let you get a little rest. hopefully the petting zoo will be open for you next time.

JEN said...

Happy Birthday!

kbeth said...

Happy birthday Jules!!! Glad to hear you had a good day!

Getting older isn't a bad thing. Just do it with grace and your head held high. If wine gets better with age, then so do we. :)