Thursday, January 8, 2009

Peas were not a hit

Excited for our adventure with peas, Cooper was happy to be in the high chair:

Then dad came in with a big spoonful of peas (too big actually ;0):


And once he tasted it we knew we were in trouble:




Needless to say, not much made it past his mouth and into his tummy. After the second spoonful (both first and second were spit out onto his bib), he pursed his lips closed and refused to let us give him anymore. We switched to the cereal which he was willing to try but he was still so upset from the peas that the cereal didn't get far either.

Later that night I read some info about how peas can make lots of babies super gassy. Lovely. Cooper is already really gassy and it wakes him up at night too. I don't need to add to that issue so we tossed the peas and tried sweet potato last night. He definitely liked it better than the peas and some of it appeared to actually get swallowed which was good. But he's still rather confused by the concept of food that isn't in a bottle. We'll stick with the sweet potato and cereal for a few days to see how it goes.

This is like a science experiment!

6 comments:

Steve and Amy Beth said...

Hey Julie-Sounds like sweet potatoes won out over the peas! My girlfriends and sisters in law, who have been mommies many times over, suggested starting Jonathan on the oranges and yellows first (sw potatoes, squash, carrots, etc.), then moving to the greens (gr beans, peas, etc.), and then adding fruits (singles, then mixed selections). I tried this sequence bc so many of them suggested it and it worked. Thought I'd pass this on for what it is worth bc it helped me--I never dreamt in my wildest dreams that sequences for baby food would become anything about which I would think twice! :)

Nicole said...

Jr didn't like peas at first either. I ended up mixing it with a little bit of juice & water. Now he eats them w/ a little juice and cereal mixed in (and we are on stage 2 - he won't take stage 1 anything not enough texture). I have to admit I have not followed any of the "guidelines" as far as introducing foods (although I did make avacado for him and he he loved that - just avacado and water in the blender) and he's seemed to love everything with the exception of peaches. He HATES peaches. We generally do fruits in the morning and veggies at night.

Glad to see he atleast liked the chair! ;)

Anonymous said...

What a face!!! LOL Science experiment ..... interesting... LOL

Your favorite as a baby was carrots and you loved bananas!!

I think adding a little fruit in the am with cereal makes sense and then trying veggies at night ........try it....... Love, MOM

Anonymous said...

Lauren says that its too bad that Cooper can't have squash because she tried it tonight and she L-O-V-E, loved it! I think she would have eaten the whole container!

Lissa said...

At least he seems to like his highchair! Glad to hear sweet potatoes are going well

Patty said...

These pics are classic...i love them! Cooper is so animated!!