Cooper's first dose of Prevacid went smoothly tonight. It's strawberry flavored so I put the measured out medicine into a small bottle without mixing anything in and fed it to him. He sucked it down quickly without any issues :). That was such a nice change from the Zantac which is peppermint flavored - I couldn't get him to swallow the Zantac unless I mixed a bit of formula in with it and even then he'd pause and make an unhappy face and purse his lips as if to say 'no more'.
Anyway, the fact that he didn't mind (and maybe even enjoyed) the flavor and took it easily was a nice change. Hopefully this medicine will work well for him.
Earlier this evening I took Cooper to Target to pick up a few essentials in preparation for his first visit to the daycare tomorrow. I had to pick up some pacifier connectors, markers to put his name on everything we bring there, and a few other things. They didn't have everything we needed so I'll have to make a trip to another store tomorrow.
So tomorrow is the big day - the first time Cooper will go to daycare. The first few days I bring him there I'll be staying there with him. We'll probably just spend 2-3 hours there the first few times. I want to be there the first few times to help the assigned teacher get to know Cooper and the special things he needs because of his reflux - like how he needs to be fed while upright and kept upright for 30 minutes afterward and things to watch for related to the reflux so they can report signs/symptoms to me when they observe them - stuff like that.
We have just about all of the required items ready to bring with us - extra clothes, socks, blankets, crib sheets, crib mobile, diapers, wipes, pacifier attachers, diaper rash ointment, etc. While Cooper napped today I ran around the house gathering all these things up and making sure everything was washed and labeled with his name. While I was busy doing that the phone rang and it was a woman from the daycare center to let me know that the infant room was having their class picture taken tomorrow - just in case I wasn't planning to bring him in they wanted to make me aware of this so I could stop in with him for the picture if I wanted to. How cool - on his very first visit there he'll have his picture taken with all of the other babies that are in his "classroom". The teacher told me she already had Cooper's crib and cubby ready for us.
I'm so excited but sad too. I'm excited that we got in at our first choice center and about the benefits of starting him early, part time, while I'm still home on leave, and certainly looking forward to having some much needed naps. But, I'm sad that I have to eventually leave him with these "strangers" all day, every weekday, when I go back to work. I know there are social interaction and developmental benefits of daycare but I just wish I could be with him full time, the way my mom was home with me the first 5 years of my life. I sometimes think about whether we failed him by buying this house instead of just renting an apartment for much less money so we could afford for me to stay home. I know Bob wouldn't want that since we're cramped for space here in the house and it would have been much worse in an apartment. And I didn't want to live in an apartment anymore - I had a house of my own once before so I knew the joy involved with making a place truly your own and that's what I wanted for us before we started our little family. I don't regret buying the house, even though the market has caused the value to plummet below what we owe on it - that's temporary. I just wish we didn't have such a high level of monthly financial obligation so that the option of staying home was there. Unfortunately, it isn't. For that to happen we'd have to live in another part of the country where homes are more affordable - where it is snowy and very very cold - or hot and crazy humid with hurricanes - Bob would never agree to it. But I digress.
Starting him at daycare early is a really good idea (that's me convincing myself) - if only to help ME get accustomed to bringing him there and help me get over the anxiety about it before I have to go back to work in November. By that time he'll have spent a few hours a day there for 2-3 days per week already so hopefully I won't spend the first few days back at work crying my eyes out. ;0
Thankfully, I have 2 more months home with him.
3 comments:
I mentioned your plan of acclimating Coop to daycare to a friend of mine who's daughter had a baby back in Dec. Right now, Jayden doesn't go to daycare, but it going to start in Dec... she LOVED your plan (daughter & baby live w/ her) and is planning on doing the same thing in Dec while she's home!! (she works for the school district) So least you worry about what your plans are... you are inspiring others!! LOL
Hope your first day went well!!! My cousin works in a university daycare in Louisiana... in the infant room ;) they are well accustomed to "reflux babies" ;). My bet is if the teacher called you to let you know about picture day... you'll become fast friends!
Good luck to both you and Cooper! Having worked at a daycare center in college, trust me when I say he'll be fine. You on the other hand? It will be tough but I know you will do just fine in time. Give both of you time to adjust. Funny that I'm saything this, kind of ironic.
A good friend of mine is starting her 3 year old tomorrow. He has been at home with her and her in-laws until now.
Will be thinking of you all!!!
I'm glad to hear that the prevacid went well. Good luck at the daycare tomorrow! i'm sure it will go well, especially with you there with him. Can't wait to hear about i!
Post a Comment