So here I am, the night before my first day back to work. It took me a couple days to get the panic out of my system but I think it's gone (for now, anyway). I'm ready. Cooper is ready. We're going to be just fine. Everything will fall into place - even if it takes a while to do so. I work with wonderful people who have all been through this before me. They will understand and they will support me and help me through the transition.
I am super organized (always have been) which helps immensely (but also makes me slightly neurotic LOL). I knew before I started maternity leave that when I was to return to work I should return on a Wednesday or a Thursday to make it a short first week - to ease into it. I'm glad I am starting back on a Thursday. I have everything ready to go - and the bags I am taking with me to the office are packed and sitting by the door. My clothes are laid out, as are Cooper's. I'll be getting up at 5 am with an out-the-door deadline of 6:30 am. I just have to feed Cooper, change his diaper, set him down in his swing while I get myself cleaned up and dressed, feed the animals, let the dog out and then when all that is done I can dress Cooper, buckle him into his carseat, grab his bottles from the refrigerator and put them into his daily daycare bag, and load him and our bags into the car - piece of cake, right? haha! It's a mad dash for sure.
Bob will be home Thursday night and he is going to keep Cooper at home with him on Friday because he misses him so much. This will be great for me so that I won't have to do the mad dash to daycare before heading for the train station. I will resume the mad dash routine on Monday when Bob heads back out to work again.
When I picked Cooper up from daycare this afternoon, his teacher and I had a good laugh as we joked about all the things that could go wrong for me tomorrow (some realistic, some downright absurd). That exchange was actually quite therapeutic because it made me realize that even if things do go wrong and I'm late or whatever, it doesn't matter. It'll be OK.
I still wish it didn't have to be this way but I know that if I could be a SAHM I'd probably go out of my mind doing that because before Cooper arrived I definitely was considered a type A personality (probably still am but doesn't feel like it). Getting back to work will help Cooper and me get into a predictable and consistent routine and that will be good for both of us.
OK - the fun begins now. I'm logging off, packing up the computer, and taking Cooper upstairs so we can both go to bed. Wish us luck! :)
4 comments:
Good luck Jules and Cooper! You will be just fine. Remember, there are things you cannot control and will just have to deal with those. Focus on staying calm and dealing with what life throws at you!!!
Let us know how the first day went!!!
I hope things went well! I have been thinking of you today! I forgot to tell you the mishap on the first day of daycare for Moses! I realized that I forgot his bottles 20 miles into the drive there! Yep, I was a tad late!
Diana
I hope it all went well. Can't wait to hear all the details. Although now that I look at the clock...you are probably still at work. But I'm sure it all went just fine for you. I personally like to think of everything that can go wrong ahead of time, that way the tiny things that do go wrong, don't surprise me! So I'm sure you have that covered after your talk with the daycare teacher.
Hope all went well today, Julie! It sounds like you were well prepared organizationally and emotionally, too. Keep us posted when you get a chance! :)
Post a Comment