Saturday, November 8, 2008

Waiting for doc and test results...I'm at urgent care

As of 8:30 am we were still waiting for the doctor to arrive and to get all of Cooper's test results. Bob arrived back at the hospital (only one parent is allowed to spend the night) and took over so I could head out to urgent care because by 10pm last night my throat was on fire and felt congestion in my ears - in other words, I've got whatever Cooper has. The hospital wouldn't have a doctor look at me there unless I went to the ER but I'm not about to incur a thousand dollar ER bill for a sore throat and ears so here I am 30 minutes away from the hospital at my in-network urgent care. The waiting room is full and the desk staff said the wait to be seen is about 45 minutes.I figured I could update the blog using my cell while I wait.

This is my 3rd cold/infection in less than 2 months. I'm going to insist on getting an antibiotic since I have what Coop has and he's getting antibiotics. If they refuse, I will call Coop's pediatrician on call and beg them to call one in for me.

Bob and I knew daycare would mean Cooper would get sick occasionally but this is the 3rd time and he's only been there less than part time for the past 2 months. We're seriously thinking about a new gameplan on childcare. We can't afford for Bob and I to keep getting sick and for Cooper to get sick and be hospitalized. He's had an ER trip for a fever and 2 hospitalizations just since labor day. When he's sick, in pain or upset his reflux acts up and that increases the risk of recurrant aspiration (and pneumonia).

I need to start researching nanny options now - I did not want that because I don't want (correction: can't have) someone alone/unsupervised with my child. May sound crazy but I can't explain it on a public forum so please just trust me when I say the alone/unsupervised childcare is not an option for us.

For us to go the nanny route I'm going to have to work from home on weekdays that Bob is away. I don't know if my job would approve that but right now its the only option we can think of. See, Bob can't work while sick - he's a pilot and can't fly sick - it's against the rules. He doesn't get paid when he doesn't work because he used up his sick time for knee surgeries and kidney stone treatment over the past year. So this isn't just about Cooper getting sick - it's about Bob catching what Cooper has. And, when Cooper is sick Bob can't/won't hold Cooper unless it's absolutely necessary. Translation: I will always be carrying the burden/job of caring for the baby when he's sick and without assistance. I am totally and completely exhausted as it is due to severe sleep deprivation - which makes me more susceptible to getting sick. It's a vicious cycle that we need to stop asap.

I will update more later when I have news about Cooper and me.

Thanks for "listening"!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Julie, I just feel awful for you. Ron and I were both sick on and off for about 6 months after Josh started daycare. After that, his immune system tolerated much more and we all better off. Knock on wood, he has been virtually cold, virus, yuck yuck:)free since then. Personally, I had strep four times in a 6-9 month period the first year! Ouch!! I know you have other issues; doing a lot of this alone, Bob's sick-no work policy, etc. but I just wanted you to know that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Hang in there!