Sunday, November 23, 2008

Cooper's first word!?

This afternoon I took Cooper out to the front yard to get some fresh air. We brought Hunter out with us and we sat on the steps and watched Hunter roll around in the grass at our feet. Cooper got a real kick out of Hunter's silliness and he was cracking up. I kept saying to him "what's the doggie doing?", "where's the doggie?", "let's pet the doggie", etc. (BTW, Cooper hears me refer to Hunter as "doggie" all the time so this is not a new reference for him). All of a sudden I heard "dawwwggggeee" come out of Cooper's mouth. I stared at him and thought "now I KNOW I'm crazy...this sleep deprivation messes with your head!" But, my neighbor across the street had been standing in her driveway and she heard it and yelled out "oh my gosh, did Cooper just say doggie!?" I was stunned! I wasn't the only one to hear it so maybe I haven't gone crazy and wasn't hearing crazy things that didn't happen!! LOL

So, I guess with a witness confirmation we can say that Cooper's first word, spoken at 5 months old, is officially "dawwwggggeee"!

Now you know the dog is a huge part of family's life when the baby's first word is doggie and not some variation of mom or dad. Bob was pretty bummed he missed it (he was inside the house at the time) but he was not surprised at all since Cooper babbles all day and night and is always trying to repeat what we say. My mom didn't believe me when I told her that he was trying like crazy to form words at just over 3 months old and then when she and my dad arrived for a visit in early October and she saw it for herself she nearly fell off her chair as Cooper tried to say "I love you" back to me when I said it to him over and over.

2 comments:

Kristy said...

Babies have an awesome way of doing something very, very cool to keep you going when things have been trying. ;o) We'd never make it through the first year if it weren't for these super cool surprises along the way. Congrats on Cooper's first word! (And congrats to Hunter for being the first wordee!)

JEN said...

what a smart little cookie! Don't these types of moments make all the struggle worth it.