Saturday, November 8, 2008

New pneumonia from viral infection

The hospital doctor finally arrived with some info. Cooper's chest x-ray shows new pneumonia (both lungs) with signs it is the by-product of a viral infection. His RSV and Flu tests were negative though. The antibiotics are being given in case the ear infection or pneumonia has any bacterial basis. He's getting one more dose of IV antibiotics this evening and later tonight he'll be released. Doc says we should be wearing masks when handling the baby at home b/c the virus can be ping-ponged back and forth. Bob told the doc that I was at urgent care b/c I already caught it. :o

He'll get a 10-day course of oral antibiotics at home but no breathing treatments are needed this time.

I got an antibiotic prescription from urgent care after they saw my throat and ears - didn't even need to do a throat culture since I told them how Cooper was being treated. It took 90 minutes for me to be seen! I'm back at the hospital now. Cooper was really upset while I was gone and Bob had one of the nurses - one with a big bosom I might add LOL come help calm him down. He was thinking the baby was in pain and needed tylenol but the nurse put the baby on her chest and he quited right down and fell asleep. Poor Bob.

Bob got the baby's prescription and is picking it up at the pharmacy so we can go straight home when we get released.

I'm going to TRY to nap now on the cot before pooper wakes up.

More later (or tomorrow) on how we're going to deal with this next week since the baby will be contagious still and can't go to daycare til he's better. Need to figure out short- and long-term solutions. (Big sigh)

3 comments:

Shannon said...

Julie - I am so sorry that you are going through all of this right now. It is NO FUN when our little ones are sick. It is also very scary. I just spent the last part of last week in St. Louis Childrens Hospital with on of the twins - with pneumonia exasperated by Asthma (just diagnosed as well). I now HATE hospitals! I am so sorry that you have been there so many times with Cooper this young.

I understand your dilemma with childcare. With our 4 kids it is almost impossible to find anything that would be cost effective and also work well. Well I guess that I can just admit that I prefer someone to watch the kids in my own house because then it is less work that I have to do getting all the kids ready and packed up and out the door! I guess one day it will get easier once they get older!

I will be thinking about you and Cooper and hoping that you start feeling better soon (also that Bob doesn't get it too!)

Anonymous said...

I am a lurker. See your posts often in ivillage and have a 3 1/2 month son myself. I have no idea what part of the country you live in, but wondering why you all are so sick?? and so often?? the first thing that came to my mind reading this is black mold in your living area somewhere? I have had some people I know have this in their homes in isolated areas that made them sick.
Just a thought. I hope and pray you and your family will get better soon.

Leslie from Las Vegas

Steve and Amy Beth said...

I'm so glad that Cooper gets to go home and doesn't have to stay in the hospital longer this time. Your whole family continues to be in my prayers, Julie. You and Bob are doing a GREAT job loving and caring for Cooper. It may take awhile for those antibodies to build up more, but you could have the healthiest little man ever in the end of all of this. When I first began teaching eons of years ago, I was sick a lot being around little ones (I taught preschool special ed for the first few years). The good news was after some time, my immunity system was and has remained strong. Cooper will get there eventually also. You, my dear friend, need sleep to stay healthy yourself--I know this is so much easier said than done. Hang in there, Julie. God is in control; though we may not see the "whys" in some events at the time, there is a path full of reasons when we look back later on. It is a blessing that you can (at least sometimes) work from home and that your company is full of supportive, understanding people. Could you work from home as you did on bed rest and go in to the office on days Bob is home to be with Cooper? Just a thought that probably has already crossed your mind. Please take care and again, you are doing a GREAT job as a Mommy! Your dedication and love for Cooper shine through your blog, so much so that I'm certain Cooper must glow in person! Try to get some rest and I hope you'll feel better soon, too! :)