Sunday, November 16, 2008

I'm proud to be a "big"

Big Brothers Big Sisters Pictures, Images and Photos


I haven't mentioned this in a while so it's long overdue. I'm a proud "big sister" for Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Los Angeles and the Inland Empire. I've been matched to my "little sister" for over 5 years - we're in our 6th year together now. It's a wonderfully rewarding experience and I encourage all adults to consider becoming a "big" to provide positive mentorship to a child in need in their community.

My "little sister", Maria, prefers to go by "Mary". She's 14 years old and a freshman in high school. When we first met, Mary had just turned 9 years old and was in the 6th grade. We have become great friends and we have a lot of fun together. Being friends is what being a "big" is all about. Please check it out: http://www.bbbs.org/ and consider making a difference in a young person's life in your area.

Today, Mary and I enjoyed a nice lunch out at Jerry's Deli in Marina del Rey (my old stomping grounds) and then we saw Madagascar Escape 2 Africa. It was a cute movie with a really fun soundtrack. Most importantly though, it was fun catching up with Mary and hearing about how things are going in high school and what she thought about the outcome of the election and other current events. She's such a smart and thoughtful young woman - I'm so proud to be a part of her life.

2 comments:

kbeth said...

BBBS is a wonderful thing. I've been a "Big" to my "Little" Amie since March of 2002. She is now in high school as well (a sophomore) and has grown from being an insecure and scared little girl to a confident and polite teenager. Its a wonderful program and I commend you for sticking with it after through all of your life changes!!!

Anonymous said...

Julie: Mary has gotten so much from you. You should be proud of the contribution you have made to her and her FAMILY. They all love you. It is wonderful to know that you have touched a young child's life in such a powerful, positive way. I love our bookstore excursions with Mary when I visit.....Love, Mom