Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Baby Olsen head-butts Mommy ;/

First - I love my OB doc - he's wonderful. He's patient, kind, thorough and genuinely cares about his patients and for that I'm so grateful that he's my doctor. So today doc had me in as soon as he was out of surgery so he could do a thorough check of my cervix, the baby, and the placenta to try to determine the source of the spotting I was experiencing last night. He found no signs of the cause but he did discover that Baby Olsen is head-butting his mommy's cervix. Yup - the baby's head is pushing against my cervix and the doc could feel it from the other side.

The cerclage is still in tact, keeping my cervix closed, so that is great. However, since the baby is misbehaving we have to take steps to eliminate all other pressure on my cervix such as normal gravity inducing pressures from the baby and the fluids and my bedrest sentence has just become more restrictive for the time being.

New rules: no sitting up and no standing or walking at all except for when I have to use the bathroom. No trips down/up the stairs, no trips to get food/beverage (unless of course there is something within reach of the bathroom haha). This will be in effect until my next doctor appointment which is one week from today. THANKFULLY, Bob is coming home tonight and will be able to take care of things and bring me food and water and he'll be home for a week and will take me to my next appointment where we'll find out if Baby Olsen has decided to be nice to mommy's cervix or not. We're hoping and praying that the baby cooperates and moves so that I can be self-sufficient again by the time Bob has to leave for his next trip. If not, we may need to ask my dad to fly out and move in with me for a while.

Doc also talked to me about the signs of preterm labor and helped me understand where to feel for contractions. He suggested I contact my health insurance provider to determine what coverage I have for home contraction monitoring and weekly injection administration for a drug called 17P which is a progesterone medication similar to progesterone - because studies indicate that it is shown that it can reduce the risk of delivering before 32 weeks by 42%. This is important because my condition puts me at high risk for preterm delivery. I believe the injections would start fairly soon but the contraction monitoring would start at 24 weeks (a month from now). The monitoring and injections would be administered at home by a company that specializes in home-based obstetrical care that supplements the care of the OB doctor. I'll be calling the insurance company tomorrow to find out if this would be covered. Apparently it is very costly. However, even if it is not covered or only partially covered, we will proceed with it and pay out of pocket - after all, we'll do anything necessary to ensure my little trouble maker is safe and healthy when we finally meet him and can tell him what he put his mommy and daddy through this year. ;)

Doc congratulated me on reaching the half-way point in the pregnancy (20 weeks tomorrow) and then he corrected himself because he said that with my situation they'll be happy for me to get to 36 weeks at which point the cerclage will be removed and they'll let the baby come out anytime thereafter. So....if we went by 36 weeks (instead of 40) that means I have just 4 months more to go (instead of 5). BUT -- we realize that it would be best for baby to stay put as long as possible so if he stays in til 40 so be it, good for him. So my new goals are: 24 weeks so I can start the home monitoring, then 28 weeks for improved viability, then 32 just because it's better than 28, then 36 for cerclage removal and then voila whenever he decides to come out within that final month.

Bob is on his way home and will likely be walking through the door at a very late hour. I feel so bad for him because he's working so hard at work and then has to work so hard at home to help take care of me. He continues to be the most wonderful man on this earth - always doing the right thing and never complaining about it. I love him so much.

4 comments:

donnadaye said...

What a wonderful idea , Julie! Someday your son will read this and be so touched by your love and devotion. He will also learn a great deal about your strength, sense of humor and courage. It makes me feel warm inside to hear you describe the care and love you receive from your husband. Your son is a very lucky baby to be coming into a world filled with love and happy anticipation. I look forward to following your journey. I am very proud of you and awed by your true grit. Jennifer has our church remembering you in their prayers. Many positive thoughts are with you. Keep up the good work!! Love you.

Amanda said...

Wow Julie... I am laughing and crying (at work) as I read what you have been going through over the last few weeks. My cousin also has an incompetent cervix (horrible term!) and is currently pregnant with her 2nd baby - due in April. She is in the home stretch and soon you will be too! I am thinking of you and praying for Baby Olsen.

Nicole said...

Hey Julie... I just wanted to tell you I really admire you and think your doing GREAT! :) AND if you need any help with the postive attitude.. let me know! :) If I can quote anymore Sesame Street Lyrics for ya I will ;)

Anonymous said...

"we realize that it would be best for baby to stay put as long as possible so if he stays in til 40 so be it, good for him. So my new goals are: 24 weeks so I can start the home monitoring, then 28 weeks for improved viability, then 32 just because it's better than 28,"
-My goodness...I guess we all have this thought, this rationalization while on bedrest. I could've written your post 3+ years ago!