Call me crazy but I'm pretty excited that starting tomorrow I'll be getting weekly shots in the rump. I'm afraid of needles but since becoming pregnant I've given so much blood and received a number of shots and had surgery so I guess I can say I'm over it by now.
I got a call from my insurance company yesterday saying they approved the request for the home health care company to come give me shots of 17P weekly. 17P is a form of progesterone that is used for fertility but also used to help prevent preterm labor because it relaxes the uterus to prevent preterm labor contractions. The doctors felt I could benefit from it even though I'm considered "off-label use" because typically they do it only for women with a history of preterm labor in prior pregnancies. Docs feel that because I have been having contractions which I can't feel but they can see on the ultrasound, that it's best to ensure we're taking all necessary steps to ensure baby Olsen stays put. They thought there was a chance that the insurance company might not cover it because I don't have the history but they felt it was worth trying since I was showing early signs and after all, a baby in the NICU can cost up to $100k whereas a shot in the rear each week is a drop in the bucket (meds cost just $10-20/week and the nurse service is like $100/week or something) - kind of a no-brainer.
So the shots in the rear begin tomorrow! I have to admit, this is the first time ever that I've looked forward to getting shots. Call me crazy but I'll do whatever it takes for my little baby Olsen!!
2 comments:
Hey Julie... So how did your first shot go? Was your nurse nice? Hope you had a good day!!!
Julie, I had to take daily shots during my pregnancy and I too, saw them as my friend. Whatever would help me keep Josh in longer and safer, I welcomed. It really helped me push pass the pain.
Post a Comment