Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Good job, Baby Olsen!

Yesterday we headed in to the OB's office for our routine appointment with the particular goal of determining whether Baby Olsen had decided to heed mommy's lectures about the need for him to stop head-butting mommy's cervix.

Like all visits to the OB, it started with the weigh-in. ;0 Bob stood there anxiously awaiting his opportunity to tease me and sure enough, WHAM! The scale registered a 7 lb gain for ONE WEEK! OMG. Bob burst out laughing and I joined him. We knew it was gonna be a big gain this week. After all, Bob has been home all week, catering to my every craving and whim (he's such a good hubby!). I was eating pasta dinners and left overs, indulging in fast food since Bob was home and could run and get it for me, plowing through the Girl Scout cookies, the list goes on!

We were escorted to the exam room where we sat (Bob sat, I layed on the table LOL) and waited. Bob and I played video games on his fancy cell phone and we giggled and began to worry that the doc might lecture me about the big weight gain. But we were surprised when the doc walked in and I started the confessional and doc just smiled and said "Good! We want you gaining weight." Bob and I looked at each other like kids that just got away with something big and started to laugh. Phew!

The ultrasound began and baby Olsen was wriggling around, waving his arms and legs. He looked great. I knew he was active because I feel him quite frequently now. He's most active at night - and that has me a little worried because I was a bit of an insomniac as a kid so I think payback is gonna hurt. The SUPER news is that he moved off my cervix and is now laying sideways. His head was now just below and to the left of my belly button. Bottom line, he's not putting major pressure on my cervix anymore - at least not right now - yay!

Doc said bed rest continues - as does the order for no sitting up - laying down only. However, besides bathroom trips, I am now allowed once again to go up/down stairs twice per day so I can let the dog out and grab things from the kitchen if needed. This is a huge development for us so we're thrilled. It's the little things ;).

My dad was disappointed that we didn't need him to come out right away but of course he is happy for us that the baby is cooperating. I told him he can still come out if he wants because it would still be nice to have him here - for adult conversation and for his help with things that can't get done while Bob is away. So we're going to arrange for my dad to fly out early next month :). Bob is excited knowing someone will be here with me and views it as an opportunity to get to know my dad better too when Bob is home between trips.

So, for now, Baby Olsen is no longer grounded from birth because he's listening to mommy :).

2 comments:

Nicole said...

WHOOO HOOOO!!! Way to go Baby O! Keep listening to your mommy! Julie I'm glad you've been given a little more reprieve from being chained to your bed! ;) I had a scare today that I might have to join you - but Baby Leebeck cooperated too! :)

Anonymous said...

Yay for small victories! I am really enjoying reading this journey (albeit it's easier to read now, b/c I know Cooper is here safe and sound)! Can't wait to get to the adventures w/ Dad Punty!!:) They were always adventures, right?! LOL