Monday, December 15, 2008

I can feel the 1st tooth, the nanny started, and more!

We have a tooth popping up! I can feel the sharp top ridge of one of his bottom front teeth. I can't wait to see it once it's all the way through - I hope it happens quickly so Cooper won't be in pain for much longer - poor baby!

I knew it was on it's way but it's so much more exciting when you see progress being made - at least it helps make up for the crying and crankiness that goes along with teething. Coop has been cranky and upset for nearly a week and all of a sudden yesterday he went from cranky and crying to mostly sleepy and extra needy. He'd eat, fall asleep, wake up and babble and get a diaper change, fall asleep. He slept through an entire movie - I sure wish I had known that was about to happen because I'd have shut my eyes instead of starting a movie on on-demand tv. ;0

Our nanny started today :). She was right on time in spite of the slick/wet weather which often messes things up here in southern CA (yet another reason we're glad she lives so close by). She jumped right in and Cooper responded to her very positively. She played with him, sang to him (awesome voice), started associating key words to sign language gestures, did tummy time with him, etc. He was mostly sleepy again today like he was yeterday but in between his naps he did enjoy 20 minutes in his jumparoo and laughed and smiled and coo'd while he was sung to throughout the day.

At one point in the day Cooper was on his back on the tummy time mat (after rolling over from tummy to back) and he surprised nanny by rolling back over onto his tummy! I didn't see it and we tried to get him to do it again for me (but he didn't) so I hope to see him do it really soon.

By late afternoon nanny said she heard him wheezing a bit and brought him over to me so I could listen for it and I did hear it. I had heard him cough a few times a day starting yesterday too so now my mind is racing about the possibility that he may have aspirated some formula over the weekend. Teething and any other sources of discomfort or illness causes flare ups of his reflux and all it takes is one reflux incident that he accidentally chokes down the wrong way on it's way back down for it to end up in his lung(s). If the cough worsens at all I will need to bring him in - hopefully it won't be necessary. Meantime, I gave him a Xoponex breathing treatment to address the wheezing and will listen to his breathing in a few hours to see if he'll need another (they last for 4-6 hours).

All in all it was a great day. I'm so relieved that the nanny has started and seems to be a great fit so far. I'm glad Cooper's tooth is breaking through his gums so that soon he'll have some relief from the discomfort - even the remedies I use to take the edge off don't take away all the pain/discomfort so it'll be good for him to get it over with so he can resume feeling good again.

1 comment:

Lissa said...

Glad to hear the nanny is going well so far. Hopefully that tooth will finish popping through soon so Cooper gets some much needed relief.