Thursday, December 18, 2008

Snow in Los Angeles area

Last night my commute home was crazy! Took the train and when I got on it I noticed it was unusually crowded. Each stop people packed on - to the point where it was standing room only and people were packed in like sardines. Turns out, a couple of freeways in the northern part of L.A. county were shut down because of snow and ice and buses and cars of people were turned back and the only way people could get north of Santa Clarita was by train so they were all showing up at the train stations along my route. There were HUNDREDS of people at each station trying to get onto the train.

As we approached my station things started to get ugly. People standing near the doors didn't want to move out of the way to let people off the train because they were afraid that if they stepped off the train to let people out they wouldn't be able to get back on because the hundreds of people on the outside waiting to get in were not being patient and kind about getting out of the way either. One fellow passenger and I chatted throughout the ride and we both needed to get off at the same station so we agreed to hold hands and push through the crowd together so that neither of us would get trampled or stuck on the train. It was insane. They had police cars lined up at the station but there were no officers standing by the train doors to help us. We had to yell at the people on the outside "let us off or there'll be no room for you to get on!" - total insanity!

This morning the same freeways were still closed so I decided there was no way I was going to take the train - thankfully the freeway was closed north of our exit so I could get on and head south to the office. As I drove along on the I5 southbound, I passed several cars with 6 or more inches of snow on them! It was such a bizarre sight to be driving through Burbank, CA and seeing snowy cars!

Here's a pic I took with my blackberry - the SUV in the second lane had snow on it. Totally crazy!

Oh, and it was 32 degrees when I left my house this morning!!!



Check out this snapshot of yesterday's weather/precip map! blue is snow, pink is ice!! This is CRAZY!

2 comments:

JEN said...

Ugh. One doesn't expect snow in SoCal.... We have a huge storm coming tomorrow.

Lissa said...

Crazy that there is snow there. But it seems to be everywhere right now.
We were pretty much shut down today..but of course I had to get in to work. Ick. Nick drove me and had to bring Colton along. By the time I left we had 9.5 inches since about midnight. I'm not sure what we're at now, but still another 3-4 coming. Oh, and with the winds it is 2-3 foot drifts. Fun. NOT!