Saturday, December 13, 2008

Teething - for REAL this time

OK...about six weeks ago we thought Cooper started teething but the daycare teacher looked at his mouth and said she didn't think he was - she was right and it turns out he had just had a fascination with his hands and shoving them in his mouth. Well...this time it's for real. Last Sunday the first nanny candidate that we interviewed noticed his front bottom gums were swollen and within a couple days the drooling increased and then slowly but surely he got fussier and fussier. I started giving him the homeopathic teething tabs which helped for short periods of time but not long enough so I started using the orajel which he FREAKED OUT over because he hates the taste - the horrific look on his face when I put it in his mouth is all the evidence I need of that. His gums are puffier and red and now there's two little bums at the top of the ridge.

And, if you can imagine, his sleeping was getting worse and worse - but frankly it's hard to imagine his night time sleeping being worse than it already was. Well IT IS WORSE. Last night he was up ALL NIGHT LONG - literally every 30-40 minutes he was up crying and growling (yes, growling) and shoving his hands and everything else he could reach in his mouth (mainly his pjs and blanket). It was unbearable and the orajel was doing NOTHING to calm him down so at 4:30am I resorted to giving him Tylenol and that helped him calm down and he fell asleep around 5am slept til about 7am (not much but I'll take what I can get).

The crying and jamming things into his mouth started up again around 10am. I decided to try the teething tabs again (don't want to give him Tylenol too often) but this time decided to use 3 tabs instead of 2 (container says 2-3) and it seemed to help more thankfully and got him through til about 3pm before the cycle started again. It must really hurt - poor kid. I had to distract him with a brisk walk in the cool air outside which did help (that, and more teething tabs of course).

The 3-tab dose seems to be the trick because after we returned from the walk he was happy and playful and spent about 30-40 minutes in the jumparoo bouncing like a maniac. He was having such a ball we broke out the video camera.

After bouncing was done, Cooper showed his dad how he can roll over now. It was fun to see the excitement on Bob's face when he did it.

4 comments:

st said...

teething doesn't last forever, give him Tylenol when he hurts. Poor kid! I actually do Motrin because it is more effective and lasts longer. That is what I have done for all 3 kids! Those teething tablets are nice, but at night let him be comfortable with some motrin.

Kristy said...

Ugh. I vividly remember the night Mia cut her first tooth. It was worse than any night home w/ her as a newborn. She wailed* all* night long, and all we could do was take turns passing her back and forth. If it's a small ray of hope, I can tell you she did that when those first two came in together and not at all for the 14 teeth that have followed since.

Lissa said...

Good luck. Hopefully it will come through soon and you will all get a little more rest. What tablets are you using? I have some orajel on hand for when we go through this, but haven't really looked into all my other options yet.

Anonymous said...

Poor Cooper. Sabrina's first tooth just emerged. You can tell it must hurt really bad -- that sharp tooth piercing those tender gums :(

Oh and she hated the taste of oragel too. It's berry flavored but since Alimentum is all she's ever really tasted, anything else is just weird to her :)