Cooper's GI specialist recommended we wait until at least 6 months before starting Cooper on any solid foods. Once he passed the 6 month mark we gave her a call to find out how to proceed and whether any special tests would be needed first (i.e., swallow study/upper GI). Thankfully, she does not want to do any invasive testing since he's been pretty stable in spite of all the respiratory challenges. Once she learned his latest weight (16 lbs, 5 oz last week) she said to first double his Prevacid dose since his weight qualifies him for the bigger dose and she even said that it MIGHT help him sleep better at night (I won't hold my breath on that one) - so now he gets a dose at night and one in the morning instead of just the one daily dose in the evening that he was getting.
Once he's been on the higher dose for a week without any unpleasant side effects we can start him on the rice cereal, followed by veggies if all goes smoothly.
So, by this weekend, we'll be starting to introduce him to solid foods! I can't believe we're at that stage already! We'll see how it goes - fingers crossed.
4 comments:
Merry Christmas, Cooper and family, from Jonathan and family! Congratulations on trying food very soon! Jonathan's first food was single grain oatmeal at about seven months,and after one or two times, he loved it! (The Axid for his AR sometimes causes him to become constipated, so he had oatmeal instead of rice cereal.) Enjoy your food this weekend, Cooper, and enjoy helping Cooper enter this rite of passage, Mommy! :)
Good luck! I'm excited to hear how it all goes.
Oh, Coopie, I am so glad you are moving up in the world! I am eating solids now (oatmeal w/ prunes and sweet potatoes) and I love it! My mommie said to tell you that I like oatmeal better than rice. The rice made me gassy and I couldn't fill my dippie up like I used to the. The oatmeal with a touch of prunes in it is helpig with that!!! The sweet potatoes are yummy to and its really funny if I make the funny sound with my tongue that everyone likes while my mouth is full! I got some on mommy's glasses yesterday! Mommy said we are going to try carrots in a couple of days! I am so excited!
I hope that your new medicine helps you sleep more. My mommy worries a lot about your mommy and admires how she functions on so little sleep.
Talk to you later,
Lauren
Little Vi has been on rice cereal once a day for thr past three weeks even though she's only 4.75 months. She was just too hungry. We're going to try the oatmeal next. Have the camera ready because they make super funny faces!
Post a Comment