Cooper is scooching around so he's on the verge of crawling. Don't want to wait til it happens to get the gates up in case it happens while Bob is away. Bob is home on a stopover so we went to Babies R Us to pick up gates and he'll be installing them after he gets up from his nap (yes, I'm jealous he's napping - but I guess since he's flying a commercial jet cross country tonight he should be rested LOL).
Had an interesting experience at Babies R Us. Took us 20 minutes of standing in the gate section reading and deciding which ones to get (after I already spent over an hour researching it online only to discover the gates I had chosen aren't sold in the store - online only and I don't want to pay crazy shipping fees for these heavy things). We get the three gate boxes to the front of the store, wait in line, and as the cashier scanned the gates she informs us they can not be sold because they've been recalled! OK - shouldn't the store be required to pull recalled items off the shelf so that customers can't pick them up and attempt to buy them?! WTH!
Bob and Cooper waited up front while I trekked back to the gate section where supposedly a store staff member would meet and assist me with carrying back the new gate selections. No staff member ever showed up. I ended up pushing 3 gate boxes from the rear corner of the store to the check-out stand and passed at least 2-3 staff members on the way who didn't bother to offer any assistance (and the store was NOT busy). When I got to the register I asked the clerk to call a manager over and when the manager arrived I said, quietly and calmly: "Besides wasting 20 minutes selecting and hauling gates that were recalled but still on your shelves, the assistance you called to meet me there never showed up and the staff I passed on my way back while pushing these gates up here didn't bother to stop and help me. What percent discount will you be giving us today?" She promptly issued a 15% discount. I then asked why it is that they keep recalled items on their shelves. The answer was pretty lame and something along the lines of: "Some items are marked not eligible for sale like these because they've been identified as requiring further testing but they're perfectly safe." Um, I don't think so. I'd like to think that the manager of a Babies R Us store would be more knowledgeable about product safety and recalls and not give out such bogus answers when they're caught having recalled items on their shelves. I know that it's not standard protocol to keep the items on the shelves because I've been in the store when recalled items were taken from the shelves but the space left there for the replacements and a sign posted about the recall for customer information.
So I had to endure the purchase aggravation and now Bob will endure the installation aggravation. Poor Bob! I think I'll take Cooper for a walk when that part begins haha.
3 comments:
I hate when stuff like that happens. Good luck with the babyproofing. Out of curiosity, which gates were "recalled" and what did you end up going with?
I LOVE how you asked her point blank what your discount would be! :) I probably would not have thought to do that.
You rock! I am not a huge fan of Babies R Us. There are two about 20 minutes from us. At one the customer service is the worst and the other is much better.
That is just a bit scary isn't it that babies r us has recalled items on the shelf isn't it???
Post a Comment