Sunday, March 15, 2009

Ch..ch..ch...changes!

We are on the verge of embarking on a new chapter of Cooper's infanthood - he's trying like crazy to crawl! It is so fun to watch him. He's so determined. He is so excited. Then frustrated. You can tell he's been around all adults (and kids who walk) because of the way he is trying to crawl - it is like he is trying to stand up instead. He goes from sitting upright to being on all threes - yup, all threes and not all fours. One leg is caught in front of him or underneath him and he keeps wanting to put that foot flat on the floor and that ends up putting him right back into the sitting position. He's been doing that for a few days.

Then there was today...when he figured out that to move forward he needs to start out on all fours. But instead of going up on his knees and using them to move, he puts his toes to the floor and tries using them to propel him forward. He looks like a runner stretching their legs, one after the other. It really is hilarious and adorable. It even does move him forward. So far, getting to the dog is his biggest incentive. I haven't been spending any time deliberately encouraging him with physical milestones because I don't want to push him to do anything he's not ready to do and would rather see him experience things naturally when he's ready. But seeing him work so hard at it today and struggling to figure out what he should be doing, I got down on all fours myself and just crawled around him to show him what to do. He just laughed at me. The dog is his big incentive - he wants to get to her. Every time I see him trying to crawl he's either trying to get to the dog or trying to get to me. It's so cute.

I really do need to order those stair gates now (since I couldn't find ones that fit our stairwell in any stores in town) because I'm pretty sure he'll be motoring around here by next weekend when he turns 9 months old. ;)

I have the video camera on standby at all times - it would be so cool to catch the first real crawl on film. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Never mind the first real crawl!! Catch him trying to do his sprint thing!! We would all enjoy seeing him try so hard.

And then of course, catch the real thing.....I can't wait to get my hands on him. I am counting down the days. Love, Mom

Lissa said...

Thats so exciting! Can't wait to see video of the little guy crawling. As for his stance....some babies do that and just kinda skip actual crawling and go straight for walking. You never know! But I would definitely be finishing up the babyproofing if I were you!

Steve and Amy Beth said...

Goooooo, Cooper! Your buddy Jonathan crawled backwards for almost a week before he got the whole sequence down and now, he is as fast as fast can be! I laughed when I read that your Mommy crawled on the floor to model for you bc that's what Jonathan's Da (Daddy) and I did for him, too! Have fun, little guy!

Nicole said...

Your buddy Jr figured it outhis weekend while we were visiting friends in FL... now that we are home he's only crawling backwards but can furniture walk like NO OTHER! Can't wait for you and Jr to get a chance to play!! We'll have to come see you guys soon!