
We made it to Florida Monday and we survived Cooper's first flight(s). Cooper passed the traveling test with flying colors on the way out here. I can't tell you how relieved I am about that. I was sick to my stomach for a day before our trip from the anticipation and worry about how he'd do. This is a big deal for us since Bob and I not only love to travel but we have the ability to fly almost anywhere for free since he's an airline pilot. There's lots of sacrifices families of airline crew members have to make (mainly not having their loved one at home most of the time), so it's a nice perk and trade off to have the ability to fly around the country and the world for nothing as long as you're willing to fly standby. The thought of having a child that wouldn't fly/travel well was making me sick with worry. Thankfully, that fear has been alleviated - for now.
I had decided it would be best for us to fly late night when he's accustomed to being in bed (not necessarily asleep but at least in bed LOL) and I think it was a brilliant move - if I do say so myself :). He fell asleep at the gate before we boarded the plane and stayed asleep for nearly the entire first leg of the flight. He'd stir a bit out of hunger half-way through but as soon as he was finished with his bottle he was right back to sleep. The second leg was nearly the same except that he was awake for the final hour of the flight and having an absolute ball. It was daylight by then (trip started at midnight so second leg was early morning) and once he looked out the window and saw clouds and stuff he got super excited and animated. It was so fun to watch. We took a video of him all excited and when we get home we will upload a clip.
I had decided it would be best for us to fly late night when he's accustomed to being in bed (not necessarily asleep but at least in bed LOL) and I think it was a brilliant move - if I do say so myself :). He fell asleep at the gate before we boarded the plane and stayed asleep for nearly the entire first leg of the flight. He'd stir a bit out of hunger half-way through but as soon as he was finished with his bottle he was right back to sleep. The second leg was nearly the same except that he was awake for the final hour of the flight and having an absolute ball. It was daylight by then (trip started at midnight so second leg was early morning) and once he looked out the window and saw clouds and stuff he got super excited and animated. It was so fun to watch. We took a video of him all excited and when we get home we will upload a clip.
I'm so excited that Cooper was a good little traveler. I can't wait to start carting him around to visit friends and family now that I know he has the ability to handle it so well. I know every flight won't be so blissful but at least we're starting off this way - yay!
Oh yeah - this first trip is helping me figure out what we must have with us and what is not as important. Next time, especially if Bob isn't with us, I'm going to really try to limit what we bring along because lugging a baby, a car seat and stroller and carry-on bags is not a walk in the park.
4 comments:
Thats so awesome that he did well. If I could fly for free I would be doing lots of traveling too! So I'm so happy that you will be able to do that with Cooper
Yeah! I know you were so worried! Enjoy the rest of your vacation! We are also a little excited that this means that maybe you can sneak in a trip to come see us this summer!
That's great. So glad Mr Cooper did well. I am taking Vi for the month of July to visit Daddy who will be in Boston so any traveling tips with babies I'm sure we will appreciate.
Yay!! Good job. Oh and lucky you for getting free flights (but sorry your hubby is gone so much...) As for gear, Carseats are very important, but sometimes you can rent one w a rental car. Or if there's one person you visit frequently, just leave a car seat there. And the umbrella strollers are usually sufficient for a day or two trip, depending. Diapers and wipes are bulky, I just buy a small pack at my destination and just take enough for the journey...
Post a Comment