Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Daycare countdown is on

It's official...I can't wait for Cooper to get back into daycare this summer. I just *know* that once he's there, he'll be stimulated nearly all day long (except for nap time of course) and then at night he'll sleep better. He'll also benefit from seeing other babies moving around and eating and hopefully be encouraged and inspired to want to do more of those things himself. He's doing great in both areas for the most part (except he is quite stubborn in the eating department) but he definitely does both things better when he has an audience - yup, a performer LOL.

There is another big reason I am looking forward to him getting back into daycare that I can't get into on the blog but I've already called the daycare center to let them know we're aiming for him to return in July (maybe even in June). I spoke with Patricia, the infant room teacher he had before and we talked about how long babies get to stay in the infant room (til they are sturdy walkers or when they turn 18 months) and I was happy to hear the answer because that meant Cooper would get to be with her again when he returns - we love Patricia. I got her email address and sent her some recent pictures of Cooper so she could see how big he's gotten. She was hoping we could stop by for a visit but I told her we can't because it's still RSV and FLU season. :(

Of course, I'm still somewhat nervous about his return to the daycare setting and the fact that he WILL get sick more often there. My hope is that by the time he's a year old his immune system will be strong enough that he will be able to handle the typical daycare colds and viruses better this time around. Last time it took weeks for him to recover because the reflux complicated things and turned simple colds into respiratory infections. I'm also nervous about the transition since Cooper is now at the age where separation anxiety is starting to become an issue at times. It's not a major issue, but it's there - I'm hoping it doesn't get worse between now and then.

So, fingers crossed that once it's time to go back he'll transition successfully and with minimal adverse health consequences.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I just wanted to leave you a note and say "yay" about the daycare. :)