I knew I had gotten my fill of sleep luck last night and there was not much chance I'd see success in the nap in the crib department today. I'm sitting in the nursery with the laptop and watching and listening to Cooper whine and cry because he realized he's in the crib and not on top of me. I'm hoping this as as strong as a cry he gets to because if it gets any worse I have to pick him up. Can't let him scream. OK, screaming started. Gotta go.
Continued...so I picked him up to calm him down and once calm I put him back in the crib which just made him really really mad. Then the little bugger starts making his grunting noises like he was pooping and I heard him pass gas so I figured now I have to change his diaper because he'll just be mad about that. So I change his diaper - just wet and he gives me a sly smile like he had planned to trick me into thinking there would be more there. I keep his jammy bottoms off so he can play with his feet. I put on the Einstein lullaby music and put the rain sounds on with the sound box and place him on his back in the crib and put his favorite blanket on him. He is smiley and looking around. Yawning. Then a couple sneezes. Then a big burp. Then he rolls onto his belly and starts playing with his lovey "Mr.Moo", a stuffed cow that my Aunt Susie and cousin Nicole sent to him along with some great clothes. Now he's playing with the sound box (which I put in the crib so he can hear it well enough (it comes out of the "Sleep Sheep"). He keeps looking up at me and smiling and laughing. I'm not sure why but I'm glad he's not crying anymore. I'm hoping he'll wear himself out and fall asleep for his nap. We shall see. More later.
Back again. He got sleepy again and then started freaking out while in the crib. Full on screaming, drooling, body hot and sweaty. The patting and shushing did nothing to calm him so I had to pick him up and calm him down again. Once super sleepy I tried putting him in the crib again and he flipped out. OMG this is so crazy! He needs to nap and I need him to get used to the crib so there's my dilemma - do I ruin his naps for a few days while we get him used to the crib or do I give in and let him nap elsewhere so he actually naps because if he doesn't nap his night time sleep will suck too.
For now, I have simulated the firmness and leveling of the crib on the floor next to the crib. He has a small inclined wedge under the sheet of his crib mattress and I had a second one so I put it on the floor and covered it with a thin blanket and set him on that once super sleepy again and he was out like a light. I don't get it - just about the same touch/feel but on the floor. I'm wondering if it's the trip down from my arms to the crib mattress that's pulling him out of his sleepy state and ticking him off. I was able to softly and snuggly place him on the wedge on the floor with success. Why do cribs have to be made in a way that makes it so difficult to place the baby in gently? We don't have a drop side crib (did you know they hardly make any of those anymore and the ones they do make are mostly cheap and chintzy looking) so I have to use a step stool to get myself up and over the side to get him in there now that the mattress is dropped all the way down. I wish the mattress didn't have to be down that far but we have no choice since he can pull himself up to a stand now. ;/
OK - that's my nap saga for the day. Once he's up we're heading out into the sunshine for another fun day of strolling and shopping (window shopping, that is).
1 comment:
We've been (and are still down) this road. Moving from TX to CA Jr doesn't have his crib anymore - it's in storage. My moose is currently sleeping in a port-a-crib and isn't far from outgrowing it. We don't nap during the day in it. I either lay him on the couch (which means I don't go far) or he lays on the center of my bed. And when they sleep begets sleep - as I'm sure you've found - they weren't lying. (our nights ar always better on good nap days) And since Jr refuses to sleep during the day and has a funky schedule at night (for him) I'll take what ever nap I can out of him! So I said all that to say, do what works. If he has to learn that his crib is where he sleeps at night - then take it for now untill the rest of it falls into place I guess. It's the only suggestions I've got - I'm new to this too! (((((((Julie))))))) - and on the upside... you got a pretty good night of sleep!
Post a Comment