Monday, March 2, 2009

Not celebrating yet, but thankful for 2 good nights.

I'll never forget the feeling of excitement and disbelief the first time Cooper slept through the night - he was 4 months old and even though it was just a 6 hour stretch, that was still considered sleeping through the night according to all the baby books. Then, the next night he slept for 8 hours and I was over the moon. I blogged about it and sheepishly bragged about it to friends and family who knew that we'd been through so much with Cooper at that point with him being sick constantly for a while there and at the same time I was returning to work following my maternity leave.

It didn't last and I was horrified as Cooper returned to the frequent night wakings and was soon thereafter hospitalized again with his second case of pneumonia and after that things got worse and worse in the sleep department.

Here we are, just past 8 months, and we've now had the next best sleep nights - 2 in a row, again. I'm hopeful, but I'm afraid too. I want so badly for this not to be a fluke. But I've been here before so I can't celebrate yet. I will appreciate it and enjoy it. But I won't count on it being the new norm. Not yet.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I hope the sleep fairy hangs out at the house for a while........you so deserve a break. Maybe our little buddy is turning a corner!! I will be thinking about you - keep happy thoughts! Love, Mom

JEN said...

Well - two nights is better than no nights, right? Vi started sleeping through the night at 10 weeks consistently then stopped at about 5 months. She's only up once per night thank goodness, but it can be rough. Crazily enough, she slept all night the last two nights too! ie: 9:30 - 5:30. Thinking of ya!

Alisha said...

From what I hear and in my own experience, it seems that when many babies make these changes (progress/advancements of any kind) for the better, it always happens suddenly--and then it just sticks (they do it all the time). Let's hope this is one of those cases! Good luck!

Amy T. said...

I am so happy for you! We must have traded! Sunday night Lauren was up literally every 35 minutes. Monday night (alone of course) she was up 9 times between 7 and 10. Then she stretched it out to two hours! I am hoping for a better night tonight. I'll take another night, though, if it means Cooper sleeps! You guys deserve it! I am hoping that the time change that screwed Lauren up this fall will fix her this weekend.

Lissa said...

Well, what a journey you have had these past few days. I don't have time to comment on every post, but I did finally get through them all. I hope Little Cooper continues to do better for you. You could all use some good sleep. But I would put Bob on longer night shifts when he's home...he gets to actually sleep when he's away.

Oh, and Nick just saw the pictures on the side of your blog and commented on how cute Cooper is....and he doesn't think too many babies are cute