We got home with the gates and Bob opened up one box and we found the slats weren't wide enough to allow the cat to get through them to get to her little box. That would have been OK if the gate width was enough to allow her to jump up and perch briefly on the top for leverage to jump over it - but it wasn't. We put that gate back in the box with plans to return it.
Moving on to the stair gates. Bob was smart and pulled out the tape measure and measured the width of our stairway. It's pretty standard - not narrow but certainly not very wide. We have a pretty small house. Well...the stairway is wider than the stair gates will extend to. UGGGGGHHH. I would like to add that we did measure the openings for the gates before this point and used that to research the gates that would work so we went to BRU with specific gates on our list but forgot to bring the measurements along with us too...so when the gates we'd selected from our online research were not available we had to guess about the measurements. ;/
All three gates were packed back into my car and I headed back to BRU to return them. Bob stayed home with Cooper this time so that if needed I could check another store as well.
So I returned the gates, along with my 15% discount ;/. The only gates they had wide enough for our staircase were pressure-mount gates which we won't use on the stairs. So I headed over to crapmart (WalMart) and found three choices, also all pressure-mount gates. I bought one of them for the laundry room entrance.
While standing in crapmart, I saw a big sign informing customers that the starlight stairway gate was recalled and it even explained why - said the hinge mounts were coming loose, causing the gate to break loose from it's hard mount. My jaw could have hit the floor at that moment as I recalled the lame answer that the BRU store manager gave me - remember, it ended with something like "just need more testing... but they're safe." Right!
Needless to say, the baby gate installation mission failed this weekend. Today I'll be hopping onto the One Step Ahead website to order the gates we need (they have a great selection in their catalog). I should have just done that in the first place. So much for not paying shipping fees.
1 comment:
Don't worry, I did the same thing but with Target (because I had a giftcard). No luck in the store, so I had to order online. For ONE gate it was $12! I ended up paying a little out of pocket because my giftcard didn't cover it. But hey, the giftcard was free, I just wish so much of it didn't need to go toward shipping. I think babyproofing is going to be the end of me. We still don't know where to put the cat food, unless we put it on top of their litter box. I'm thinking they wouldn't care for that.
Post a Comment