Friday, October 10, 2008

Cooper's cough

Cooper had a cold about 3 weeks ago and although he seemed to kick it, he has a cough that has returned with a vengeance. Last night he coughed so much we're sure it hurt him because he would cry out afterward. We decided we'd better get it checked out so we gave him a little bit of baby Tylenol before bed and planned to call the doc as soon as they opened up in the morning. As soon as the Tylenol wore off he was coughing and crying again (2 am) and was up just about every hour from that point.

Thankfully, the doc's office was able to see him early so we got him in at 9am and we were seen by the doctor that helped us manage his cold and ER visit. She listened to his lungs which sounded clear but she could hear lots of upper respiratory congestion. She tested his oxygenation levels and respirations which checked out well. She observed his breathing patterns while awake and upset, while eating, and while asleep (yup, we were there for a while!). She observed the cough several times and felt so bad for him. She has a baby the same age as Cooper and told us she brought a cold home from the office that the baby caught so she totally gets what we're going through.

Even though he checked out OK she wanted to be very cautious because of Cooper's reflux. Since he has a habit of reswallowing anything that comes up due to the reflux, she wants to be sure he didn't aspirate any fluids into his lungs so she ordered a chest xray and off we went to the imaging center.

The xray process wasn't too difficult, although not without incident either. Poor Cooper's head was accidentally pushed against the edge of the frame that holds the film so he was startled and freaked out and when I looked down to see if there was any "damage" I saw a tiny indent from the frame - thankfully no broken skin, just a tiny impression mark. The xray tech felt terrible but probably not as terrible as I felt since I was the one holding him and I didn't see the frame sticking out like that. Once we realized what happened the tech got a towel to cushion his head from the frame as we proceeded with the xrays. When we were done they gave us a little ice pack to apply to his head just in case. Poor Cooper!

Once he was redressed and back in his carseat he fell asleep thankfully so at least I know he's not hurting or else he'd be awake and screaming. I feel so bad :(.

Now we wait for the results - we should have them later this afternoon. We're fairly confident the xrays will show his lungs to be clear but of course until we hear that I'll be worried.

1 comment:

Lissa said...

This really sucks for you. I hope that little guy can catch a break soon. But maybe he's just getting it all out of his system now, building up good antibodies, and going to be a super healthy little toddler...one can only hope at least.