Monday, October 27, 2008

A mixed bag

Cooper had a couple of really great days - super happy, lots of "talking" and lots and lots of laughing! I love that. But I noticed that slowly yet gradually increasing were these episodes of whole body stiffening, at random times, accompanied by him crying and his facing getting stressed and red. At first it would happen when I'd put him in the car seat or the swing and I thought maybe he was just protesting and didn't want to go there at that time. But then it started happening sometimes while holding him, and while I'm feeding him. The last time I remember him doing this was around 4-6 weeks when he first started showing symptoms of reflux and colic.

I don't know what it is but I'm guessing it's one of three things: 1-gas, 2-milk protein allergy since he's been back on milk-based formula for about a month (that's usually how long it takes for the culprit of an allergy to build up and become symptomatic) - we'll hopefully find out by the end of this week if this is the issue since we're waiting for his stool sample test results on that; or 3-reflux meds need adjusting. There's a 4th possibility too - teething has begun (we think) and I read last night that teething can flare up reflux/acid.

When he has this stiffening type episode I go down the list of possibilities that I can address immediately so I try to burp him (sometimes he does let out a burp or a fart) but if that doesn't work I'll give him some Mylicon drops and see if that helps him work through the gas (if that's what it is). Occasionally he settles down just from that but often the crying continues so I move on to rocking him and if that doesn't work and if he's been putting his hands in his mouth a lot then I'll break out the baby OraJel swab and put a tiny bit on his gums just in the very front where I've read is the usual spot for the first tooth to emerge. His gums don't look too red or swollen either but he is constantly shoving his hands in his mouth and gnawing on his pacifier and sucking on his plush toys or blanket and when I give him a chilled teether ring thingie he goes to town on it (unfortunately I have to hold it for him b/c he hasn't mastered the holding and aiming simultaneously skill).

Well today this stiffening has happened far too many times than is 'normal' in my opinion so I'll be calling Dr.BH in the morning to see what she thinks and to see if those test results are back yet. If there is an allergy issue we'll have to switch him back to the hypoallergenic formula, Alimentum.

Meantime, Cooper's "AR Pillow" has arrived. This is the wedge pillow we'll be bringing to daycare for his daytime naps in his daycare crib. The pillow has a head cradle and a harness to keep him from sliding off of it. It's at a 30 degree angle which is the recommended angle for reflux babies. It's going to be very interesting to see if he'll tolerate it.

I really really really hope he adjusts to it quickly because there are not many options for getting him at 30 degrees in a safe way. If the wedge doesn't work out we'll probably resort to having him nap in his carseat in the crib. I'm planning to bring Cooper and the wedge pillow to daycare tomorrow but I'm trying to use it with him as much as possible today and tonight to help him get used to it. I had him nap in it today then tonight at dinner time I brought him and the wedge upstairs and placed it in his crib and got him in it and turned on his mobile and he laid there awake watching and talking to the mobile for about 20 minutes while I folded and put away clothes in his room.

I'll probably bring the wedge home when I pick him up from daycare tomorrow too - again, to use at home to get him used to it and then eventually once he's adjusted it'll stay at daycare all the time and we'll either get a second one for home, or we'll use the crib sling I just ordered for home which will hold him in place once we elevate one end of his crib mattress here at home - the sling is a better position for him for extended hours sleeping (if we're ever able to achieve that! ;0). It's going to be an interesting couple of weeks I think (as if every week isn't already more than interesting here!).

Below is a picture of Cooper napping on the AR wedge pillow today. He won't fall asleep unless he's in motion (swing or being rocked) or swaddled so I have to swaddle his upper body but leave his legs free in order to put the harness on him to keep him from sliding off the wedge. It doesn't look very comfortable, does it? ;(

Unfortunately his nap lasted only 35 minutes and he woke up screaming (and stiffening up) - don't know if it's because he was mad being harnessed to the wedge or because of whatever is causing him to stiffen up like that. Whatever it is I hope we get it resolved quickly. Cooper is sleeping terribly both during the day and at night - waking up every 45 minutes for one reason or another. I can't keep functioning on no sleep. Yup, I'm still only getting about 1-3 hours of sleep per 24 hour period and I have to start work in about 10 days :(. I don't want my colleagues finding me passed out on my desk, or under my desk for that matter!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Cooper looks so tall in that sling rig! Sorry that you are only getting a couple hours of sleep a day, but you sure are doing something right cause he is flourishing!!!

Love, Mom

Lissa said...

I really hope with the wedge or the sling he starts sleeping better. From all you wrote while you were pg, I'm sure your co-workers will at least be understanding of your sleep deprivation. But I really hope it ends soon. Poor little guy needs more sleep too!