Saturday, October 11, 2008

Noon update - from the hospital

The doctor came in around noon and listened to Cooper's lungs. She still hears wheezing but she feels that the pneumonia was caught early enough to possibly release him late tonight (or early tomorrow) and they'll be sending us home with a nebulizer, another respiratory therapy prescription, and oral antibiotics. I asked her and the respiratory therapist how to prevent further incidents of aspiration and both basically said that it's impossible to prevent with a small infant with reflux that can't communicate. Lovely.

The respiratory therapist came in at 11:45 am for his nebulizer treatment (every 8 hours, just like the IV antibiotics) but Cooper was eating so he decided to come back in an hour for that b/c it's best to not do the nebulizer treatment so soon after eating (I'll need to get all these instructions before we leave). When he came back an hour later Cooper was sound asleep on me and we were able to get the treatment done while he slept. We got the IV antibiotic treatment done while he slept too which was good because it's hard to entertain him without walking around with him which we couldn't do during either treatments.

Cooper was so exhausted from not sleeping well yesterday and last night that he slept on me for 3 hours this afternoon. Best of all, I was able to sleep for about 90 minutes while Cooper snoozed on me. When I woke up I looked over at Bob and he was sound asleep too!

The doctor won't be back to see him until after 8pm. However, I will bet we don't see her until almost midnight because she was supposed to be here at midnight last night and she didn't show. And yesterday afternoon she was due to arrive by 4 pm and I don't think we saw her until nearly 7 pm. Based on her time estimates, Bob and I are guessing we'll be spending the night again and be discharged in the morning. We shall see.

It's about 4:20 pm here now and Cooper is happily entertaining himself again in the crib with his little crib character toys. Sponge Bob Square Pants is on the TV and he keeps fixating his eyes on that too which is funny. Whenever I try to change the channel he fusses. I know it's too soon for him to be addicted to TV but I'm blaming Bob for this one. Cooper's favorite channel is....you guessed it....CNBC. UGH.

Bob went home to feed the animals and let them out. He mumbled something about taking a nap - probably mumbled because he knows if he said it loud and clear I might deck him LOL. He'll be back around 6:30 pm with dinner (thank goodness I don't have to eat the hospital grool). Meantime, our dear friends, Bonnie and Craig, are heading over to keep me company and see Cooper the Trooper (Lissa, you're so right about this being a more appropriate nickname - although, he IS quite a pooper too haha).

OK, time to sign off. I'll write more later as I learn more about what's next. Thanks again to all of you for your positive thoughts and prayers for Cooper!

No comments: