Last night, Bob came home. OK, I know, that's not that hard to believe. But you'll understand shortly. So, he gets home and immediately starts doing tasks - putting laundry in the machine, reading mail, other crap like that. I have told him many many times that when he comes home he has 30 minutes to get out his uniform and do what requires being done immediately and then he needs to pay attention to Cooper and give me a break. You see, the way I see it, when Bob is away at work he gets to sleep uninterrupted in a private hotel room. No crying baby there to keep him awake, no wife snoring LOL, you get the picture. Meanwhile, I'm home barely able to eek out more than 45 minutes of sleep at a time (with the very rare fluke like the other night).
I'm not a nagging wife and never will be - just not me - so I kept quiet as he dilly-dallied for over an hour! I did quietly tell him that if he wanted to play with Cooper before he goes to bed he needs to do so within the half hour because Cooper was cranky and overtired and it was time for bed (or his night time nap as I like to call it since it never seems like much else than naps) - it was 9 pm (his first night time nap usually starts around 8 pm). I don't think Bob heard me. By the time he came back downstairs I was in the process of rocking Cooper to sleep. He was swaddled, paci in mouth and dozing off.
Once Cooper fell asleep I set him down on the new sleep wedge on the couch. Bob came over and started talking to me and Cooper heard his voice and opened his eyes and started talking to daddy. OK, very cute, blah blah - I give Bob the evil eye and inform him that he is officially on duty :).
Bob watches as Cooper blows bubbles with his new drool and vibrates his lips to make all these new sounds he likes to make with the drool. It is very cute and Bob was having a ball watching and talking to him. Cooper starts gnawing on his fist and then starts crying. Paci didn't help, and he already had some Tylenol (which he's getting for the 24 hour period following his shot), didn't need a new diaper. I told Bob he's tired and needs to be sleeping. Bob insists it's his gums. We get out the baby orajel. He screams while I apply it. Within 10 minutes he calms down. We gather up what we need for the night and head upstairs. Cooper was wide awake. Lovely.
At 10:30 pm I decide that even though he's not asking for it, I'm going to feed him since he'll be hungry within the hour anyway. He sucked down 4.5 ounces and fell asleep on my shoulder while I was burping him. I get up and walk around with him to encourage a burp (if he doesn't burp he'll spit up and I can't have that happen while he's sleeping b/c of the risk of aspiration). He lets out a HUGE burp, while still asleep. Hilarious. I quietly swaddle his top half and put him in the harness on his sleep wedge between Bob and I on the bed. That was 10:45 pm.
I remember at some point hearing him squirm and grunt so I reached over and gently placed my hand on his chest and he fell back asleep. I think that happened a couple of times.
Then it happened. I woke up and looked at the clock. It was 4:45 am! At that point Cooper had been asleep for 6 HOURS! I went to the bathroom and got back and bed and just stared at him. Then I think I pinched myself to see if I was dreaming. Then I realized he is probably going to be up ANY SECOND so I got a bottle warmed up and ready for him. I got back in bed with the bottle on the nightstand. Bob woke up and went through the same realization/disbelief and we stared at Cooper and then at each other and silently chuckled in giddy excitement. We both fell back asleep.
Cooper woke me up......at 6:30 am!!!
He slept through the night!
He slept for 7 hours and 45 minutes!!
He woke up with a big smile on his face and quite an appetite. He drank 5 oz in about 7 minutes. It usually takes him 20-30 minutes to finish a bottle of that size. AND THEN....while I was burping him over my shoulder....he fell asleep again and slept for another 2 hours!!
I told Bob I'm going to order another AR Pillow today so I won't have to haul this one back and forth to/from daycare. His reply "Tell me the name of the manufacturer, I want to buy the company!" LOL
We're cautiously excited and looking forward to more nights like last night. Fingers crossed that we've finally turned the corner. I'm soooooo happy right now! =)
5 comments:
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well I'll be!!! You finally experienced that moment - - the one where you can't believe they are sleeping so you check to make sure they are breathing!!! LOL Enjoy and may the sleep fairy bring you more nights.......Love, Mom
Woo who!!!!!
Yea!!! That must be one magic pillow. I'm so excited for you guys!
Gotta love it a full night of sleep!!! ;) Teething and sleeping seem to go hand in hand... ;) (for some odd reason!!)
Post a Comment