I've become used to the sleep deprivation since Cooper was colicky and then we added acid reflux to the mix making it impossible for him to sleep longer than 3-4 hours (although 3-4 hour stretches generally happen only once a day on a good day - usually it's 2 hours).
With Bob being away all the time for work, it's even harder than ever to sleep when Cooper sleeps because there's so much to get done - especially now that I have to give him nebulizer breathing treatments which are more successful if given while he's asleep.
I figured out this morning that I generally get no more than 45-90 minutes of sleep per each 24 hour period. It's no wonder I feel like I'm in a fog all the time and am strangely irritable and emotional. OK, the irritability isn't all that strange since I've never been able to be happy on no sleep.
Anyway, I figured out a way to get a good stretch of uninterrupted sleep today. Bob has a 24 hour layover at home today and will be arriving here probably by noon. Since he has to fly back out tomorrow morning and is still on the clock he needs to be rested so I can't ask him to help at night but I've decided what will happen when he first gets home. He'd better cooperate.
Here's my plan: As soon as Bob walks through the door I will tell him to go take off his uniform and do whatever he needs to do within a 45-60 minute time frame. Once that time is up, he is officially on Cooper duty and I will grab a pillow and a blanket and get in my car and drive to the mall parking garage (where it's dark) and will park my car, recline my seat all the way back and go to sleep. I know this sounds so crazy but 1) when I try to nap at home I hear EVERYTHING - coughs, cries, swing/toy sounds, AND the phone always rings at least 2 times waking me up and I end up only getting 30-45 minutes of sleep, and 2) I am dangerously exhausted now - clumsy and freakishly emotional (I cried when the dog came over to get pets from me this morning - b/c I realized she's not getting any attention, and I cried while watching election coverage on TV last night - yup, that's so nuts isn't it!?) so I need uninterrupted sleep.
I can't go to a friend's house (they all have telephones, kids, etc that would most certainly prevent me from getting uninterrupted sleep) and I have no family in the area.
So that's my plan. Sometime this afternoon I'll be laying in my car in a mall parking garage, hopefully for a period of 3-4 hours, if not longer.
If Bob does anything to foil this plan of mine, I'll serve up divorce papers and will board a plane back to CT to move in with my parents (and it would take A LOT for me to ever consider moving back in with my folks - I haven't lived with them since age 17). OK, I probably wouldn't divorce him over it, but I might have to exert bodily harm. ;0
2 comments:
You may wanna forward a copy of this post to Bob before he walks in the door, just so he has an idea of what the stakes are ahead of time! ;o) Good luck getting your nap.
I hope that you are soundly asleep right now! Good luck. I'm curious to see how Bob responded to your plan as he walked in the door.
Post a Comment