Cooper was released from the hospital last night around midnight and he's sooooo happy to be home (and so are we). As soon as we got him home he started smiling and giggling, even during his nebulizer treatment at 1am! :)
Cooper had a rough evening last night prior to being released because while playing in his crib (waving his arms and legs around) he somehow managed to move his hand on the little board that was supposed to prevent him from moving his hand where the IV was. The poor little guy was screaming in pain for like 40 minutes before we all managed to figure out what he was upset about and removed the IV. Once it was removed he calmed down. The nurse decided not to put a new one in on the other hand until hearing from his doctor who arrived shortly after Cooper calmed down. She looked at his hand and determined it was OK (apparently there's a risk of infection when something like that happens) and she proceeded to listen to his lungs and observe his breathing. She said he was ready to go home and be treated at home.
I was thrilled we could go home but I was also concerned that she was basing it on his lungs sounding clear and I reminded her that his lungs sounded clear to the pediatrician and the hospital nurses the day he was admitted. She said we'd know he's getting better by his cough - it should become less painful sounding and less frequent over the next day and disappear within a few days.
At home, Cooper will get respiratory therapy in the form of medicated nebulizer treatments every 8 hours, and twice daily oral antibiotics. We can give him Tylenol as needed for pain/discomfort but I don't think that will be necessary as he seems quite content, even when he coughs he's not crying afterward like before. He's also to be kept on the Prevacid for the reflux.
He will be seen Monday by the pediatrician and then in a week he may have another chest x-ray to see if the fluid is gone or not.
Thank you all for your thoughts and positive prayers over the past few days - I believe it really worked and we have our happy baby back at home (he's asleep in his swing right now) and we're so incredibly grateful and relieved for that.
3 comments:
OMG Julie!!! My thoughts and prayers are with you, Bob and little Coopers! I hope you all get some much needed rest and he feels better soon!
So very glad you're all home and Cooper is on the mend now, Julie! We'll continue to pray for him and you and Bob. Try to get some rest so you don't end up sick, too. Things like this take a lot out of parents physically and emotionally. Aren't blogs great for sharing with everyone quickly? We just added another bunch of photos to ours. I wish I had the discipline to write more frequently as you do!
Quick aside: Thank you for the Aquaphor advice you recently sent! I used the "regular" Aquaphor instead of the baby type, but it cleared things up. Yay! Thanks again!
I'm glad to hear you are back home. I hope everything continues to clear up. That really sucks that there's nothing you can do to help prevent this from happening again. But I will continue to pray for you all and that you don't have to deal with this again.
Post a Comment