Wednesday, August 27, 2008

2 month check-up and stats

This morning Cooper had his 2 month check-up and vaccinations. His basic stats are:

Weight: 10 lbs, 5 oz (14th percentile)
Height: 21.75 in (7th percentile)
Physical strength: advanced for his age/size (arm, leg and neck strength evaluated)
Other milestones: cooing and smiling on target, laughing ahead of schedule LOL :)

At 2 weeks old, Cooper was so small he wasn't on the chart yet but today he's on, at the low end, and growing steadily. Dr.Brian was very pleased with his growth and overall health.

D.Brian increased Cooper's Zantac dose to keep up with his weight gain and said that he's probably outgrown the current dose and may be why he seems to be regressing at night. If he's not doing better by Monday they'll finally switch him over to Prevacid.

Cooper got 3 shots today. He was due for 5 but I brought my "The Vaccine Book" (by Dr.Sears) along with me and asked a bunch of questions about the necessity of having so MANY shots in one appointment and the potential risks/side effects. I explained that Bob and I want Cooper to be fully vaccinated but that we're concerned about his little body being overloaded all at once and if there was a reaction to a vaccine we wouldn't know which one it was if he had received so many. Dr.Brian agreed we could hold off on 2 of the shots for a month so Cooper got 3 and will get 2 more in one month to finish that set out. Then, at 4 months, he'll be due for some more.

I asked Dr.Brian if Cooper will be sore from the shots and he said that one shot is placed deep into the muscle (like when we get the tetanus shot - ouch) and that he would be sore for 24 hours and said I can give him baby Tylenol every 4 hours. Now, this is the best thing I've heard all week! I might actually get some sleep today/tonight. Last time Cooper had baby Tylenol he had one dose after he was circumcised and he slept for 5 hours. Here's hoping that it helps him sleep this afternoon and evening so that I can get some rest too.

After the nurse gave Cooper his shots, she brought me two shopping bags filled with samples of his formula. This is a huge bonus because the stuff he's on is twice the cost of most formulas on the market because it is hypoallergenic and partially broken down. It's $9 for 32 oz - so formula is costing us about $8 per day right now. She gave me a 6-pack of 8-oz cans of the premixed version (which we use mostly) and 4 cans of the powder version (which I generally use when we're away from the house), AND a stack of $2 off coupons that we can use when we buy formula. She felt so bad for me because at the start of the appointment when she asked me the basic questions about Cooper's feeding/sleeping schedule - so she could input the answers in the computer for Dr.Brian's review - I broke down in tears because I'm so exhausted. She said they don't have a lot of clients on this formula so they have a good stockpile of it and could send me home with a lot more than usual. I thanked her and she told me she sincerely hoped that I could get some rest soon. I hope so too.

Cooper is asleep right now so I'm going to take him upstairs and take a nap too.

2 comments:

Lissa said...

Thats awesome that they gave you so many samples. Sounds like growth and development are going well.

Steve and Amy Beth said...

Great news, Julie! We split Jonathan's first set of shots into two appointments, too. There was just too much going on with his acid reflux at the time and, like you, I was concerned about him having so many shots at once. I did cave at his four month appointment and let them give all of the shots. I didn't know the Dr. Sears book supports the split, so I'm going to do some reading before his 6 month appointment so I'm better "armed". Thanks for the info! Sleep well, Mommy and Cooper!