Tuesday, August 26, 2008

"Ut-oh!"

Last night was a rough night for Cooper (for all of us) - colic reared its ugly head and Cooper screamed and screamed from 9-11pm which was terrible b/c Bob needed to sleep and wake up at 3 am to get ready to head for the airport.

Nothing I did calmed him down - not even swaddling which has been the reliable standby lately. When nothing worked, I started bawling LOL. Bob heard both me and the baby crying and walked into the nursery where I was trying to rock Cooper into calmness and he said "let me try". I handed him the baby and Cooper quieted down immediately. Bob said "see, he doesn't like you crying so he stopped." I just laughed at how Bob was trying to make it look like he didn't really calm the baby down (as if I'd be hurt that he calmed down for Bob and not for me - believe me, I don't care WHO gets him to stop crying, as long as he stops because it's ear/mind piercing).

Bob handed the baby back to me and went to bed. I rocked Cooper for about 5 minutes in my glider chair and then the dog started barking like crazy and wouldn't stop. I walked into the bedroom with the baby and Bob sat up and turned on the light and asked why the dog was barking. I told him I have no idea so he says "hand me the baby and go check it out".

I handed Cooper over to his daddy who is sitting up in bed and I turned around to walk away and I heard "ut-oh!" in a baby voice. I turned around and looked at Bob and his face had a look of shock on it and he said "did you hear that!?"

Now, I know that it's WAY too early for the baby to be talking so we don't really believe he *said* "ut-oh" intentionally. But it sure sounded like that to both of us and we just cracked up. Bob said that a second before the "ut-oh" was uttered, Cooper opened his eyes, saw his daddy and then "ut-oh!" LOL It was hilarious.

Thankfully, the baby stayed calm after that and we all went to sleep - at least until Bob had to get up at 3 am and Cooper shortly thereafter for a diaper change and a bottle. Once fed, Cooper drifted back off to sleep thankfully, and Bob and I said our temporary goodbyes as he headed out the door.

4 comments:

Lissa said...

Aww, how cute. Good luck tonight!

Nicole said...

LOL there's been a few times where Jr was fussing and it *sounds* like he says things so I can totally understand the OMG feeling. So what was Hunter barking at?

Steve and Amy Beth said...

How funny! :) These are the moments, intentional or not, which lighten your heart and load--comic relief! Safe, happy flying literally for Bob and figuratively for you and Cooper at home!

Lissa said...

Just wanted to say, I hope you and Cooper are sound asleep right now since it isn't even 5am there yet. I also hope the night went well for you.