Thursday, August 21, 2008

The dreaded call...less than a week to go

Bob finally received clearance from the FAA to resume flying (he was grounded for his kidney stone which was blasted the day after we brought Cooper home from the hospital). He called the airline to notify them and within hours he was given a training date: next Wednesday. UGH.

So, Tuesday Bob ships out for Minneapolis to attend training and then of course he'll be immediately placed on the flying schedule. It's been so great having Bob home with us. He's been home for so long (since April b/c of the knee surgery and then they found the kidney stone in his pre-op tests) that I've really gotten used to having him here to help take care of me (during bed rest) and the baby. I'm pretty nervous about how I'm going to manage caring for the baby, the dog and the cat and the house while Bob is away. I know I'll figure it out and things will be fine but I have a feeling it's going to be a painful adjustment. Right now I can hand the baby over while I take a shower or prepare the bottles for the evening or go run a few errands without taking the baby along.

Earlier this week I did a practice run to the market with Cooper in tow and it was challenging. I might have to resume use of the grocery delivery service just to eliminate that challenge since there will be so many others to deal with. The hardest part I think will be handling those ugly colicky screaming hours when I won't have someone to tag team with.

We talked about hiring someone to help me out and as much as I want the help so I can get more sleep I think it would be difficult to find someone I trust enough that would be willing to work the night shift. I haven't ruled it out but I'm torn about it. I think what I might do is start Cooper at day care as much as a 3-4 weeks before I return to work - that way I get used to dropping him off and picking him up but also doing it while I'm still off of work will give me a chance to come home and catch a decent nap so I won't be a total wreck/basket case when I do have to get back to work. It'll also let me get caught up on projects in desperate need of attention here at the house and I can drop into the day care center any time to see how things are going. My problem is this: the center that has an opening right now is not my first choice and is one where I've observed some things I don't like, whereas the one I prefer has a wait list and we may not get in until just before I return to work. I have to decide if I want to go to the 2nd choice place at first and then switch him over so I can get that head start of a couple weeks of the habit of going - but then again I may not have a choice anyway if Cooper doesn't get into the first choice place right away. It's a dilemma for sure.

Anyway, I know Bob has to get back to work, just like I will have to in the fall - but darnit, it still stinks!

Bob is such a wonderful daddy - he is so good with Cooper. They have a great bond already and I'm we're so fortunate that he's had this much time to get to know the baby. Here's a picture of one of the many many touching moments I've seen shared between Bob and Cooper - this was taken when Cooper was 5 weeks old.

3 comments:

kbeth said...

I know it will be a hard transition for you, but you can do it! All the encoragement you have given me is right back at you!!!

BTW, just saw the picture of you and Cooper on the side of your blog, I LOVE IT! You look awesome!!!

Chin up girl...

Lissa said...

Good luck when Bob goes back. I can somewhat sympathize with you since Nick works 3rd shift. It can be tough. Last night I only got 1 hr of sleep. I am NOT looking forward to when I have to actually go to work after only an hour or two of sleep. Good luck with the daycare situation. Hopefully you will get your first choice. When do you officially go back to work?

Steve and Amy Beth said...

Don't you love watching Bob with Cooper? I love to watch Steven and Jonathan together. The Daddy-Son connection can be a powerful one; it looks like your Olsen men have exactly that kind of bond with each other.