Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Pooper's (I mean Cooper's) rough couple of days

Our little guy has been having a really rough couple of days. He's screaming a lot, sounds like he's in pain, mainly before, during and after feeding times (and lately that's every 90 minutes). He starts to drink and then abruptly stops and screams and knocks the bottle away with his hands. Then he flails his arms and legs and screams and spits out the little bit of formula he's had. He then realizes he's hungry and wants it and screams for it so I try to give it to him again and the cycle continues. It's been taking 60-90 minutes to get him to consume 2+ oz of formula per feeding. We keep trying to console him and comfort him and address all other possibilities and eventually he tires himself out from all the kicking and screaming and falls asleep. An hour later he starts the whole process up all over again.

He had ONE calm feeding today and then an hour later he spit up most of it all over me and himself. I feel just terrible for him. :(

We're so bummed that the progress we thought he'd made by being on Zantac seems to have vanished suddenly. We're concerned that he's not eating enough because he's in pain either from the reflux, gas, or some other issue we're not aware of as yet.

I called the pediatrician and they want to see him tomorrow and want us to bring in a stool sample so they can test for traces of blood and other possible issues. Doc mentioned he could be allergic to milk protein or something else, or it could be that the zantac isn't the right med for his reflux issues. He mentioned maybe doing an upper GI test (yikes!). Most importantly though, he said he wants to rule out things so that we're at least being proactive to seek comfort for our little guy and not making us wait til his next appointment in a couple weeks (thank goodness b/c I can't keep doing this - it breaks my heart to see him in pain and so upset all of the time).

It was after hours when we got the call back from the doc so he instructed us to call the office as soon as they open (8 am) and make an appointment for that day to see him and bring in a fresh poopy diaper for testing.

So...once we have an update we'll post.

3 comments:

Lissa said...

Julie, I'm so sorry to hear this. P&PTs with your family that you can get this figured out so little Cooper can start feeling better and you can all get some more sleep.

I have to admit that I laughed when I saw the title. Nick and I have always planned on naming our second son Cooper and a little over a year ago we found a onesie at Spencer Gifts that has the Mini Cooper symbol on it, but says Mini Pooper. We couldn't resist and had to buy it! Thats what I thought of when I read the blog title.

Anonymous said...

Julie--Love your humorous title! Poor Cooper...I'm glad your dr said to come in tomorrow. If Cooper ends up having an upper GI, know that Jonathan had one at one week shy of two months. It was not as bad as we thought it would be. We had a much harder time with it. Jonathan sailed through it unphased. I am praying that they will have a solution and soon for Cooper's tummy and throat.
Warmly,
AB

Nicole said...

Here's hoping Cooper will feel better soon!!!

I feel your pain- we have been having a rough time too, and I think Jr may also be on the AR train :(. we are going this morning so I can talk to one of the peds at the clinic about it! Keep us posted!