Since starting the Zantac, Cooper has been doing better. He still has discomfort during feedings but not nearly as bad as it was so we're glad that it's helping. We're hopeful though that as his weight increases the doctor will increase the dosage so that he can have even more relief.
The worst time of day for him and for us is from around 11 pm - 2 am during which time Cooper has inconsolable crying screaming fits. I'm not sure how he can do so well all day long (most of the time) and then suddenly when it's time for bed for the rest of us he screams and screams. Once we get him past the screaming fit and falls asleep the rest of the night/morning is just fine and he even sleeps for 4 hour increments.
We use the car seat carrier if he's going down within 30 minutes of a feeding (needs to be upright for 30 minutes after eating due to the acid reflux), but if it's been longer we put him in the bassinet. When he's down and wakes up screaming we'll try to switch to the other "bed" option than what he started with but that usually doesn't make a difference - we still cycle through all the options and possible issues to rule things out - mostly out of our desperation for some peace and quiet.
Last night was absolutely awful. Cooper was screaming so loudly and for so long it was disturbing to us and to the cat and dog. We tried everything - holding him, feeding him, changing his diaper, changing his clothes, burping him, giving him mylicon drops, etc. At one point Bob had to yell Cooper's name pretty loudly to just get the baby's attention and amazingly he stopped screaming just long enough to look at Bob and then promptly resumed the screaming. UGH.
Often the only thing that results in calming him is being able to fall asleep on my chest. While it's flattering that he loves his mommy and wants to be connected to me physically, it's getting to be really bothersome because then when he's asleep and I try to put him down in the bassinet or other appropriate sleeping spot for him, he wakes up and starts screaming. Obviously, I can't sleep with him on my chest - it's not safe. So, every night I pray and pray and pray that this phase soon passes.
4 comments:
I so totally and completely feel your pain. Emmett has taken to sleeping on my chest as well and I'm currently running on 4 hours of sleep between the past 2 nights. I think I'm going to lose my mind before too long.
My chest is Colton's favorite place also. I try not to, but I have to admit I have fallen asleep a few times that way because I am just SO exhausted from being up with him screaming. At least the amount of time Cooper is screaming at night is decreasing. Hopefully as you increase his Zantac doses, his sleep will increase.
Julie.... I am thinking of you. Hopefully the Zantac will kick in and he will improve very soon.
Hi Julie!
Congratulations to you and your husband on the birth of Cooper! He is a beautiful baby!
I don't know if you'll remember me or not, but we wrote to each other a few times on ivillage. I was checking in to see how you were doing and found this link to your blog. Your blog is great! We have one, too, for our little man--Jonathan. It is a great way to stay connected with family and friends! (http://theeschweilers.blogspot.com
Jonathan was born at 36 weeks and has bad acid reflux, too. He is five months old tomorrow and his GERD is under much better control than it was--I well remember how little sleep everyone was able to get and how our little guy was in so much pain. He is doing much better, but there still are times, he is a mess. Usually between 7pm and 11pm for us.
Jonathan was on zantac also, but we just switched him over to axid (no alcohol in axid; Jonathan's dr said there wasn't enough alcohol in the zantac to cause any problems; don't want to worry you, but I felt more comfortable without the alcohol.) Jonathan still has a lot of gas and it often wakes him up from naps during the day. He is sleeping through the nights now--it is a huge accomplishment! Ironically, I was so excited when he got to this point that I could barely sleep for the excitement of it, though I was exhausted and needed the sleep so badly. Jonathan is up to 15 lbs and 1 oz and takes 1.2 mL of his meds 3x/day.
Jonathan loved sleeping on my belly, too! In fact, he had to have a brain stem hearing test (Passed!, thankfully, after failing two screens) for which he had to be asleep. We tried everything and an hour and half later, the only way he fell asleep for the test was by laying on my belly while I was laying on the exam table with wires everywhere. We were quite a sight, I'm sure! We were so glad that Jonathan finally feel asleep and then passed his test! :) Recently, I've been trying hard to curb the sleeping on my belly/lap as he is going to my sister in law's who will be his sitter when I go back to teaching in September--something I'm not looking forward to at all...
This is a long "comment", but I wanted to say hello and congratulations from the Eschweiler family in NY to your family in CA! I know that time is precious, especially with a new baby with acid reflux, but if you get a chance, it'd be great to hear from you.
God bless!
Your cerclage sister,
Amy Beth
Post a Comment