Last night was the first time, since delivering Cooper, that I had more than 90 minutes of uninterrupted sleep. I managed to sleep from about 9:30 pm - midnight then woke up for pain meds (a welcomed interruption) and right back to sleep until 4:30 am when I woke to the sound of the baby next door crying. I could have gone back to sleep but I wanted to see my little guy so I got up, washed up, and shuffled down to the nursery. As I passed the nurses' station my night nurse, Marilyn, said she'd be glad to bring him to me but I decided to keep going since I need the practice dealing with the pain as meds wear off since I won't have the real good stuff at home.
Last night was the first time I'd sent Cooper to the nursery for the night and it was hard letng him go because I want to just cuddle him all the time - but I knew this was my only chance to get a good night of uninterrupted sleep and would be crazy to let the opportunity to slip by.
When I arrived at the nursery Cooper was sound asleep (as usual - lucky little guy). I chatted with the nursery nurses a bit and they're going to do his pku and bili test at 6 am so I let him stay put and they'll bring him to me when he's done. Since he'll be ready to eat soon they're going to test him first before the other babies. They said he's back up to 5 lbs./5 oz. after a brief 1 oz dip 24 hrs ago, and his last bili tests showed low levels which is good - so they expect either the same or lower today which is great. They gave me a handful of extra breastmilk storage bottles and nipples to pack up and take home which is great. And while I was there I found out that one of the reasons the pediatrician wanted Cooper to have Enfamil (over the other avail choices) is that his wife is a rep for Enfamil! Now that I know that I will try to score some freebies from him - its the least he can do considering they have the advantage of getting my baby and others started on a particular brand (benefiting their bottom line) without us knowing about the connection. Thankfully they had the good sense to put him on the one known to be most similar to breastmilk and Cooper's been happy having either/both.
Speaking of breastmilk...I believe we have progress in this area. My tatas are rapidly changing - with the usual signs of productivity...AND before falling asleep I pumped almost an ounce - if I hadn't just fed Cooper an hour or so earlier I'm sure we'd have gotten an ounce. How exciting! Now you KNOW things/priorities have changed for me when I'm jazzed about breastmilk production...a year ago I wouldn't believe you if you told me I'd try this hard to make it work.
On my way back to my room I saw a soon-to-be daddy in the hall - he was there last night at 7 pm and they're still laboring and waiting for their little guy. The dad looked totally exhausted - a familiar look and feeling, that's for sure. Next stop I made was nurses' station where I chatted with Marilyn about my options for a milder pain med so I can wean off the good stuff as the day progresses and we approach discharge time.
OK, Cooper's tests are at 6 am so I'd better post this and resume getting ready for the rest of this exciting day. We're going home son! yay!
I can't wait to show Cooper his home and get settled in so I can download and post pics. :)
2 comments:
After my C Section I swore by taking Perkiset and 800 mg of Ibuprofen at the same time. This is going to sound wierd, but if they haven't given you stool softeners yet ask for some. Probably the worst part of the after C Section time. Have fun taking Baby Cooper home and congrats!
Glad to hear its still going well! And at least its now only modified bedrest. Sounds like you enjoyed your night of sleep, I'm sure you needed it. I bet you never really thought about that when you were constantly in bed. I hope Cooper's tests went well this morning and will check back later tonight for pictures! Oh, and how does it feel to finally be able to sit up again and do some more walking? (besides the pain from the c-section of course)
Post a Comment