Friday, June 20, 2008

Final 17P Injection and home health care visit

Wow, it's hard to believe that I just had my last visit from Marietta, my home health care nurse, who has been coming weekly to administer my 17P (progesterone) injections and taking my vital signs and checking Baby Olsen's heartbeat.

The shots have worked wonders to ward off PTL (preterm labor) by helping keep my uterus "relaxed". The medication stays in my system for 7-10 days so when this last shot wears off, I will officially be full-term.

I'll continue the home contraction monitoring service (twice daily sessions of measuring contractions with a portable device that transmits the results to a 24/7 nursing center for analysis) for another week or so - but once the medication is worn off it's expected that contraction activity will increase and that's OK since we'll be full-term.

When we first started these injections, in March, it seemed like "full-term" was so far off and we weren't sure we'd get there.

Thank you, Marietta, for your skillful and gentle approach - you're truly an amazing nurse and I'm so grateful that you were assigned to me. I never had a single issue with any of the injections and I know that is because you are so great at what you do. Thank you!

7 comments:

Lissa said...

Congratulations! Thats one more step closer to the wonderful end result! Plus, I'm sure you won't miss the needles...

Anonymous said...

Julie is in the hospital!! Her water broke at 4 am Saturday morning pacific time! She is being prepped for a C-section.

Stay tuned everyone!!! Her Mom

Lissa said...

Oh wow! Thanks for the update, Julie's mom! Please keep us all posted. I will say a few extra prayers for her and that Little Boy! I hope everything goes well.

Amy said...

Good job Julie's mom! There are a lot of us out here rooting for her and the new baby!

Anonymous said...

Baby Olsen is 5lbs 7 oz. and no one seems to know how long he is!! LOL Julie says he is very beautiful and tiny.

They are both doing very well. I've extended her dad's stay and i will be joining them a week from today!! I can't wait. I refer to him as "little bugger" so I'm curious to see what his name will be!! No decision yet. Julie's Mom

Nicole said...

Dang girl! Way to go :) (way to go Julie's mom too) Please keep us updated!!

Lissa said...

I'm so excited for them! Keep the updates coming, Julies Mom! We're especially all waiting to hear a name! And of course see pictures. Please tell Julie I'm thinking about her and very excited for them all!