Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Cooper and mommy are doing great! - Monday's update - 2 days old

Every nanosecond of bed rest, every twinge of discomfort and pain (during pregnancy and post-c/section recovery), every inconvenience (big and small) was worth it (not that there was ever any doubt - but just *had* to say it). I'm so in love with Cooper and so is Bob. He is such an amazing baby. A real trooper, my Cooper =).

I can't wait to post pictures (you can expect to see them on Thursday - or Wednesday night if we get discharged early enough to get home and get settled, etc.).

It's true what 'they' say about becoming a new parent - 1) there's no words to describe the love you feel for your child; 2) your baby's cries don't hurt/annoy you as much other peoples' babies' cries (and thank goodness for that! haha); 3) sleepless nights during pregnancy help prepare mothers for sleepless nights post-pregnancy - in fact it is wild how the frequency/timing of my bathroom trips all day/night during pregnancy are the same as the baby's feeding and diapering schedule now. I know I haven't reached the holy crapola level of exhaustion yet (and I can see how that can/should be on its way - but that doesn't scare me- yet).

Cooper's birth weight was 5 lbs - 7 oz; day 1 (Sunday) he was down to 5 lbs - 4 oz; day 2 (Monday) he was up an ounce to 5 lbs - 5 oz - all good news there - especially for a 35-weeker. We're breastfeeding and supplementing with formula while we await my milk's appearance. We put Cooper to the breast first at each feeding. He has a great latch and starts off well but becomes frustrated when he realizes there isn't much for the taking - this takes between 5-15 minutes to discover - and then we switch to formula, which he's tolerating well, and taking between 15-25 mL per feeding.

When Bob is here he's in charge of the formula feeding so I can pump to encourage the transitional milk production/arrival which may take longer than normal for me due to the progesterone shots I was receiving and the fact that the last shot was the day before Cooper's birthday. The shots last 7-10 days. The reason this impacts milk production is that when a baby is born and the placenta is delivered/removed, the mom's natural levels of progesterone drop which triggers milk production. So.....my level of it may take longer to drop because of the recent shot which may keep it high enough to delay but we won't know until it happens. So I will keep pumping and supplementing w/formula to keep/get Cooper's weight/growth strong. It's actually great getting him used to both breast and bottle since he'll be in daycare when I'm back to work.

Besides feedings, Cooper is doing great on all his newborn/preemie tests - all the nurses are amazed by how strong he is. We're so relieved and proud of our little man.

The c/section recovery is going nicely. When the pain meds start wearing off I am, of course, in pain. But the nurses here are wonderful - prompt with the meds and very helpful and friendly.

OK, time for a nap while Cooper is still asleep. I'll post more later.

4 comments:

Shannon said...

I am so glad to hear that things are going so well for you!! A big CONGRATULATIONS to you guys! YOU DID IT!! Now just sit back and enjoy! I can't wait to see pictures!

Nicole said...

We are all anxiously awaiting pictures... but we can keep waiting :) As long as you and Cooper are doing well and your recovering is all that matters!!! :) (and I didn't doubt that all the crud you went through for almost the past 6mos wasn't worth it ;) )

Lissa said...

Its great to hear how well things are going. You really deserve it after all you've been through. Hopefully your milk will be in within the next few days so you can breastfeed more. Can't wait to see pictures! With parents as good looking as you and Bob, I'm sure he is absolutely adorable!

Unknown said...

Congratulations!! I can't wait to see pictures and am so happy to hear your recovery is going well too. And selfishly I'm glad you chose Cooper - that's the name I voted for!

Laurie