Thursday, June 12, 2008

Baby Olsen's name - please vote in the "finals"

As many of you have heard/read, Bob has been incredibly stubborn - refusing to even discuss the baby's name until we're on the way to the hospital. He wouldn't even offer up any name ideas of his own until I hounded and hounded him and then finally he offered up a girl's name LOL when he KNOWS we're having a boy.

So, I created the name poll on the blog, using a short list of names that I like. None of these names were "approved" by Bob, although he hadn't "vetoed" them either (actually, he DID veto "Henry" but I decided to include it anyway) and there was a great response from everyone - thank you!

Recently, my mother in law called and wanted to know the baby's name. I told her he doesn't have a name because his father refuses to allow me to pick one this "early". She had me hand Bob the phone and she berated him for a while. LOL. Then, today, my mother called to ask me what the baby's name is going to be and I reminded her (again) that Bob refuses to discuss names so I have NO IDEA what the baby's name is going to be. She was disappointed because she was hoping to have a blanket embroidered with his name on it before he arrives. These women are GOOD -- successfully manipulative! LOL

Well, that just made me so annoyed so a half hour ago, while up for a bathroom visit, I stopped into Bob's office and demanded to know what our child's name will be. He turned bright red and laughed and said "it's too early!". I informed him that I am NOT going to wait til the hospital and then find out he wants some name that I don't like and end up fighting about it. I told him that if he doesn't start participating in the naming of our child now, and that if I start labor before a name is chosen by the two of us together, then I will name this child whatever I want and he will have no say. He didn't like that idea and finally got him thinking about it.

So.....he asked what the top 2 names were based on the blog poll. I told him (#1 spot: Cooper & #2 spot: Owen). He asked me to start a new poll and have people vote on these 2 names. So this tells me that at least he likes those two names (thank goodness). He wants to use Mitchell as the middle name (good!) but he doesn't want a Junior and he doesn't want Henry or Mitchell as the first names either. He'd like to see which of the 2 top names wins out in a poll when faced with just those 2 choices and none others. "Just humor me" he said, after I asked "Are you really going to base it on the results of a poll?"

So, if you don't mind, please vote again in our new "Baby O's naming finals" poll. Thank you! Of course, with my luck, Bob will come up with something completely different later on - but hey, at least he's finally participating in the naming process so we might just have a name for this little guy soon ;)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I can empathize with your perspective, but Bob's position has millions of adherents as well. Some might argue that fussing over the name of a child before it arrives focuses on the "branding" rather than the person. I imagine that I'd wait and see, and let my son's soul tell me who he is. Perhaps that's not why Bob's holding out, but still, I think he has a point.

Having said that out of one side of my mouth, let me switch. Consider these with the middle name: Stephen, Curtis, Randy, Charles, Brian, Theodore/Teddy, Patrick, Phillip, Dexter, Alfred, Bertram, David, Daniel, Yves, Francis, John, Eric, Luke.

Good luck to both of you!

Anonymous said...

Hi. I like some of the names that Mark came up with. I like Curtis, Dexter, and Luke. I think Francis Mitchell also is nice.

Love, Mom