Yesterday (Thursday) morning Cooper had his first appointment with the pediatrician, Dr.Mike. He did great! His weight was still 5 lbs, 5 oz (down from 5 lbs, 7 oz at birth) - same as discharge day. Dr. Mike was thrilled that the total loss was just 2 oz since the average loss is up to 10% of the birth weight. His bilirubin level also went down which is fantastic. Dr. Mike said that the level was such that he's in the clear and we shouldn't expect any issues with jaundice going forward.
We'll be going back on July 7th for Cooper's 2 week check-up and his circumcision. They didn't want to circumcise him at the hospital because he was/is so tiny and wanted to give him a couple weeks to get bigger so that's the plan.
Bob wasn't able to join us at this appointment because he was having a kidney stone blasted. So my mom drove Cooper and me to the doc appointment and helped carry him in is carrier since I'm not supposed to lift anything but the baby until I've healed from the c/section.
Bob's procedure went well, but he did have a bad reaction to the anaesthesia and was pretty sick when he got home :(. He's feeling better now although we expect him to be pretty sore tomorrow.
I'm doing well - I think the incision is healing well (though it's hard to see it since I have an icky flabby tummy in the way - that's a story/gripe deserving it's own post but that will have to wait). I'm pretty exhausted due to the round the clock feedings and related tasks that need to be done every three hours (all worth it, of course). My feet swelled up like balloons from the fluids they pumped me with during and after surgery. I have to keep them elevated when sitting/laying down which has been difficult since I'm constantly up tending to Cooper. The doc said the swelling should subside in a few days. I see him (Dr.N) next Wednesday so hopefully by then the swelling will be resolved.
Cooper is a great sleeper - sleeps between feedings which is a miracle that I am cherishing and hope will last for some time. He's breastfeeding like a champ but we're also supplementing every feeding with formula to help ensure he's getting what he needs to grow while my milk supply is being established. He is doing well handling both feeding methods thankfully.
We did have a bit of a rough night last night after Cooper's 2am feeding when he must have had a bubble in his tummy that just wouldn't release in spite of our many attempts to burp him. He spit up most of what he consumed in that feeding and then of course fussed and cried a ton. After that happened I nursed him two more times to help relieve his hunger and calm him down but it didn't seem to work. At around 5 am my mom was up using the bathroom and heard him crying so she came in to see what was going on and thankfully she offered to take him downstairs and rock him while I tried to get some sleep (thank you Mom!). I slept for a few hours and then got up and had breakfast (while Cooper slept peacefully in his carrier next to my mom) and then resumed the cycle of feedings, diapering, clothing changes, pumping, etc. all over again. ;)
I don't know how moms with multiple kids do it - I have new respect for anyone that juggles many children and a newborn baby - it's some serious work. It's all worth it of course. Like I said, I hope Cooper continues to be a good sleeper.
4 comments:
Julie that is awesome that Cooper is sleeping so well and his weight is staying good! You are obviously doing a great job :) Congrats again, sooooo happy for you!
Sounds like things are continuing to go well. That's great that his weight only dropped by 2 oz. Hopefully Bob recovers well from his "blast". Then hopefully you two can avoid all these medical issues for a while! When will he return to work? Or does he have more kidney blasts to go through yet?
Hi there! You don't know me but I found you through Amanda's blog. Your son is gorgeous! Congratulations! He looks absolutely perfect just the way he is.
I hope you'll reconsider circumcising him. It can be quite risky (my first was circumcised and had problems with it). It's also not medically or socially necessary. You've probably already researched it before you made your decision, but I was clueless when I had my first. I just thought I'd pass some links along.
Best of luck to you. I hope Cooper continues to grow and thrive.
http://udonet.com/circumcision/index.html
http://nocircpa.org/4642.html
http://emmagfunk03.googlepages.com/circumcision
http://www.homiegfunk.com/RIC2.htm
http://intact.ca/vidintro.htm
http://www.healthcentral.com/drdean/408/9985.html
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/1/t012000.asp
http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008806260303
Aw don't worry, the flabby stomach will go away eventually. : ) It took about two weeks for me to start looking more normal, and now at 3.5 mos out I only have a couple lbs of pg weight left. I'm so happy to hear how well Cooper is doing! He sounds like a wonderful baby, and he's so cute!
Post a Comment