Since we can't attend a childbirth class due to my bed rest orders, I ordered a DVD set which covers the topics of a typical class - in fact, it's video of an actual class - for us to watch so we'll be prepared and know what to do at "go time". After all, now that I'm beyond 34 weeks and the cerclage comes out in less than two weeks, anything can happen from this point forward ;0.
Bob was not thrilled that he had to watch the class with me (I insisted). I think he was worried that there would be nasty footage of an actual birth or something (there wasn't). He said that women have been doing this for thousands of years and since we'll be in a hospital and will be told what to do, what's the point in watching a class video. I explained to him that once labor starts, I won't be in a logical frame of mind so I need him to understand what's happening, what needs to be done between the time labor starts and when we get to the hospital, and what types of things to be aware of once we're there. After some eye rolling, he started the DVD and joined me on the bed to watch. We decided we'd watch two chapters at a time and spread it out over a few days.
The DVDs were good. Informative. Bob didn't appreciate the instructor's humor or her anecdotal comments (which I agree were annoying), but he paid attention and asked some questions afterward which made me feel like he really did take it in (phew!). We finished watching it last night.
So this morning he found me sitting on the floor of the nursery sorting through some boxes that were on the floor of the closet. I looked up and saw him standing there and waited for him to chastise me for being out of bed. Instead, he looked at me bright-eyed and fearful and said "Oh no, is this that sudden burst of energy that precedes labor!?" I laughed and told him "No, this is extreme boredom and panic that this room will never be cleaned out and ready for the child."
I knew that if I started to do things (or appeared to be doing things), that he and my dad would jump to their feet and start clearing things out so that I wouldn't do anything I'm not supposed to do. My plan worked brilliantly (insert evil grin here). Dad and Bob are in full gear, carrying boxes around, moving furniture, running errands. Meanwhile, I'm back in bed - with contraction monitor on, TV on, and happy knowing that stuff is happening in preparation for my little guy - even if I can't be doing it myself.
3 comments:
Wow, between you, your mom, and your MIL, you sure have those boys under your control! Glad to hear you plan worked.
And you give me crap ;). LOL we all have our weeknesses ;) Way to go btw on the "motivational strategy" - let me know what happens when they catch on ;)
You are so funny. Bob is right about one thing... The nurses will really guide you through the whole labor process. It was nice to know from our class kind of what to expect but you forget so much of it once labor really gets started! (But I totally would have made Craig watch the videos with me if I were in your shoes!)
Post a Comment