Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Bob calms the hysterical pregnant woman

So after walking in and finding me crying a couple times since returning from the doctor, Bob came over and gave me a hug and asked me why I was so upset. I tried to explain it and then he realized that I may not have heard some of what Dr.N said to me after he uttered those words "if he's still breech we'll keep the stitches in." Bob's right - it all went kind of fuzzy after that because I must have gone into shock haha. It's a good thing Bob was there so he could fill me in later.

Basically, the reason for keeping the stitches in while Baby O is breech is to buy more time for the baby to flip. Once the stitches come out, labor could start - and often does for people with my condition (incompetent cervix) but if that happens we'd be guaranteed that I'd have a c/section since it'd happen while the baby is still breech. Dr.N knows I don't want a c/section if we can help it so he figures we keep the stitch in, get me to 38 weeks and see if we can either get him to flip on his own or get Dr.S to do the version and if THAT doesn't work, we'll schedule the c/section and avoid an "emergency" situation. OK, that makes sense to me. It's all still very disappointing but now that I understand the rationale behind it better, I feel better.

Bob is going to the market tonight to buy a few bags of frozen peas for me to use to try to make Baby O's current head-up position less comfortable - this is a technique Dr.N recommended - put something cold up top and something warm down below to get him to seek warmth. We're starting that and the frequent sessions on all fours tonight and will do it every day between now and next Tuesday when we go for that ultrasound. Wish us luck! ;)

3 comments:

Lissa said...

Aren't husbands great sometimes? Good luck with the peas!

Brittney said...

I've been reading your blog for a little bit now, and I'm amazed at how well you're handling the bed rest! I hope your baby flips, but if he doesn't, don't worry too much about a C Section. I cried and stalled the Dr for 3 hours before they rushed me in, but looking back it's not something I even think about that often! But for your sake, I hope the pees work!

Anonymous said...

Hang in there! Keep your eye on the ball (the prize)..........We are into home stretch now - - you are almost there......Love, Mom