Just back from our Perinatologist's office (Dr.S) where my cervix was measured and baby Olsen was also measured. Here are the stats:
Baby O's weight: 1 lb, 13 oz (right on track) Bob and I were hoping he was bigger (see below)
Baby O's overall anatomical growth: Right on track and no worrisome "markers" YAY!
Baby O's position: Breech (but he rotates a couple times per day and I feel it when he does)
Cervix length: 2.2 cm (no change from a month ago - YAY!!!!!)
Cervix condition: unchanged - no new funnels, cerclage in tact - YAY!!!!!
So we're looking good, in fact, Dr.S said "baby looks beautiful". I get to keep doing what we're doing - home-based bed rest. This is a HUGE relief because based upon the previous rate of my cervix measurements in the past we were expecting trouble and possible hospitalization. At the previous visit Dr.S said we're ok if my cervix stays at 2 cm or longer (at that time it was 2.2) - anything shorter than 2 and we would have to either impose more restrictions at home (which is hard to believe) or be hospitalized. THANK GOODNESS NEITHER IS NECESSARY!
The docs have wanted me to gain gain gain in the weight department and I have been following their orders. As of today, I'm up a total of 38 lbs since pre-pregnancy. It's necessary but disturbing to me and I was REALLY hoping that the baby was getting bigger as a result of all this extra poundage that has had no problem finding its way to my rear end, thighs and other places. The doc was pleased with the baby's size/weight as he is "right on track" but Bob and I were bummed because we were hoping to hear that all my extra weight gain was at least making him ahead of schedule in the weight department. Doc said he'll catch up over the next few weeks as this is when they start finally gaining some fat.
Doc asked "so how soon after this one will you be going for #2?" Bob and I both laughed out loud and then I quickly replied "are you for real?" Dr. S laughed but then said "why not?" - this from the man who said to me "you have barely any cervix left" after operating on me. I told him I didn't think my cervix would/could support another pregnancy and that we're assuming we'll have to adopt or go the surrogacy route next time. He said not at all. Bob and I were amazed. I asked him if the next one would require all this bed rest and he said "probably a fair amount of it" so I reminded him how its not horrible now with no children to look after but with #2 it would be much harder and asked him (Dr.S) if he'd foot the bill for a full-time nanny and he jokingly said "oh sure!" Anyway, doesn't matter because IF we did decide to carry another in the future - it would have to wait until Baby O is at least 4 years old - I can't explain it but I know it'll take us that long to get over the craziness of this year, get used to having one child and get used to the idea of having another - so for now that subject is officially off the table. Let's get through this one and get Baby O potty trained and everything. haha!
Ok, lastly, for my sanity and to ensure I'm not kidding myself about how much more time I'll be on bed rest, I asked Dr.S when the cerclage would come out and he confirmed it'll happen at 36 weeks. My next and last question was whether at that point he would release me from bed rest so I can have a week or two of preparing for the baby's arrival and not be confined to bed and.....drum roll please......he said "yes". HUGE SIGH OF RELIEF
1 comment:
WHOOO HOOO!!! Glad to hear you had an excellent appointment!!! :) And you got news you didnt' think you'd get! (an end to the bedrest AND that if you wanted you could have another!)
Post a Comment